Chapter 9

Grace

I grumble to myself as I wait for Ryan. Things are not going my way today. First, Sarah went home today during lunch because she got "sick." Second, I failed my stupid chemistry test. And third I'm trying not to be mad at Shane, but I'm failing.

I drum my fingers against my thigh and hum to myself as I sit on the curb in front of the school. I tense every time I see a car similar to Shane's. See I was suppose to meet him after school but I ditched. I don't know if he's still here or what, but everyone's gone and it's just me by myself sitting in front of the school like a loser.

To entertain myself I pull out my book. My fingers scan the pages as I find where I marked my spot. I let my hair fall in front of my face and I begin to read. As I get lost in my book, I faintly hear footsteps behind me and don't notice the person who decides to sit by me until he says my name.

"Gracie"

I tense and slam my book shut. I mentally groan as I didn't mark my page. I tuck my hair behind my ear and look at Shane.

"Hi"

He clears his throat. "Why didn't you meet me?"

I focus on his messy blond hair and my gaze quickly slides over his lips. "I forgot" I lie "um I'm hanging out with Ryan and Pepper."

He nods. "I'll come with you."

"No. You don't have to do that. Besides don't you have football practice or something?"

"I had it this morning." He reaches for my hand. As soon as he touches mine I make a noise. I don't want him to touch me right now. He drops my hand.

"Did I hurt you?"

"No" I laugh "I uh felt an ant on my ankle." I mentally slap my self and feel my cheeks heat.

"You- you felt an ant on your ankle?"

I nod meekly. "Yeah" I look over as my brothers car approaches. "Oh look it's Ryan. I'll see you later."

I haul my bag over my shoulder and stand. Ryan stops the car. I open the door and click inside. Impatiently I buckle my seat belt. "Let's go"

He frowns at me then rolls down my window. "What up Shane? Long time no see."

"Ryan" Shane laughs "man you're getting old." He leans forward his elbows resting on the windowsill.

"It's good to see you too man." Ryan says as he shifts the car to park.

"What are you doing?" I glare at him. "Come on let's go."  I look at Ryan the whole time and try to ignores Shane's gaze burning my face.

"Hey can I come along?" Shane asks "I'd also like to see Pepper"

Ryan nods. "Hop in"

Shane situates himself in the backseat right in the middle. I lean against the window and focus on the beat of my heart.

The whole ride to my house Shane and Ryan talk about football. Every now and then Shane kept leaning over my seat.

As soon as Ryan parks, I rush to the front door with my bag in tow. But I stop almost tripping my own feet when Pepper opens the front door. She smiles at the person behind me and opens her arms.

"Shane! Look at you! You're so handsome."

He grins with delight at her compliment then moves around to welcome Pepper with open arms. His mouth drops open in shock. "You're pregnant?"

Pepper nods resting her hands on her stomach. "Didn't Grace tell you?"

He shakes his head. "No she didn't tell me anything."

I bite the inside of my cheek and turn to him. "Maybe if you hung out more with your best friend and not Camille then you would have known. I'll be in my room." I march past them and try to ignore their shocked expressions. I've never been rude to Shane before but today I just don't care.

I take the stairs two at a time. As soon as I enter my room I lock the door and throw myself on my bed. I curl into a ball and try to stop the hatred and jealousy that wants to overwhelm me. I'm not gonna cry. I don't want to cry. I don't want to have a stupid crush on my best friend but of course I do. And what I hate the most is that I can't help it. I can't stop it.

A knock at my door pulls me out of my thoughts. "Gracie"

I shut my eyes.

"Gracie can you please open the door."

I sit up. I grab the pillow next to me and chuck it at the door. "Go away"

"Grace we need to talk and I'm not leaving until we do. I'm your best friend." His voice is calm and quiet. "I need to know what I did so that I can fix the problem." He pauses. "Please"

That does it. The please. I hate myself for being so weak but I can't help myself. I unlock the door and run back to my bed.

He opens the door then leans against it as he shuts it. His hair looks messy and wild as if he ran his fingers through it a million times.

"Can you tell me whats wrong?"

I bite my lip. And stare at him.

He stares right back.

He walks over to me and sits on the end of my bed. "Gracie, Camille and I are just friends." His eyes bore into mine. "But you're my best friend. You come first"

I hug him. I bury my head in the crook of his neck and wrap my arms around his waist. He grabs my waist and rests his chin on my head.

"I just missed you" I whisper "I'm sorry"

"I'm here" he hugs me tighter. "I'll always be here."