Chapter 25

Grace

I lay in my bed and listen to the birds chirp. My eyes are swollen and my nose is plugged
it doesn't help that I cried all night. I could pass as being sick. I push the blanket off me and sit up. I brush my hair with my fingers and grab my phone. I have fourteen unread messages from Shane. I groan falling back on my bed.

Is it bad of me that I don't want anything to do with him? I tear up every time I look or think about him. It kills me that I couldn't be the girl he kissed. Instead I was the pathetic girl in the stands and to think I was doing something nice. I thought maybe if I pushed David away I could have a chance with Shane.

I'm not gonna do this. I shake my head and grab my towel. I'm gonna take a shower. I'm not gonna lay in bed and cry over something like this. I don't want to be that girl. I'm going to call Sarah and we're gonna get ready and we're going to do something fun. Yes that will be my plan.

~|~

I lied. I'm crying again. I grab a tissue from the box beside me and blow my nose. Why did this happen to me? Or any girl for this matter?

"Grace?"

I stop mid sob. No. What is he doing here?

"Gracie? Can you please open the door?"

I listen to Shane shuffle behind my door. I quickly wipe my face and gather all the tissues that are scattered all over my floor. I try to de-tangle my hair by running my fingers through the strands. I finally smooth down my pajama shirt and pants and walk to the door.

His hair is messy and his blue eyes look tired. He's wearing a grey hoodie with black sweatpants.

I clear my throat. "What are you doing here?"

He sighs, moving to stand in front of me. "You didn't answer any of my texts or my phone calls." He towers over me. "Are you ignoring me?"

My hands start to shake. "No" I move back into my room walking to the window so my back is to him. "I'm just sick, I didn't want to talk to anybody."

He closes the door, and tense as he turns the lock. I shut my eyes trying to control my
breathing.

"Gracie, can you please look at me?"

I bite the inside of my cheek, opening my eyes. I slowly turn back around to face him. His hands are in his pockets and his shoulders are slumped.

"Gracie. . . I came by to ask you a question. And I want you— no I need you to answer it truthfully? Can you do that?"

I nod.

He looks at his hand twisting his ring on his thumb. "Camille asked me out." He swallows. "But I don't want to say yes if it bothers you." He looks at me, his blue eyes holding my gaze. "I need to know if-"

"Shane." I grab his hands. "You don't need my permission. If you like her, go for her. Don't let her go. True love only comes around once."

I step back. "You should go, I'm gonna get you sick." I move to the door unlocking it. "My opinion doesn't matter"

He turns around. "Yes it does, your opinion matters so much to me." He looks fiercely at me. "You matter to me"

I want to cry. I can feel tears starting to form. "You matter to me too" I whisper "but one day you're gonna find the girl of your dreams and she'll be the most important thing to you."

"Grace" he shakes his head. "If you don't want me to be with Camille. Please say something now" he begs

I open the door. "Go" I say quietly "go to her"

He watches me for a second. His eyes trail over my face then he gently lays a kiss on my forehead. Then he walks away.

I close the door falling to the floor. It's time for me to move on. He deserves someone like Camille. She'll make him happy. He kissed her for a reason. To me that meant he likes her. He chose her. Besides we're going to college soon. Shane and I will probably be going separate ways. It's too late for anything. I don't want to get hurt again.