Chapter 29

Grace

All day at school today all I heard were girls chattering amongst themselves about dresses, hair and makeup. Why? Oh because it's Friday. The day of the dance. To think I was gonna go with Shane. Shane. I miss him. Yet my mind tells me to stay away from him. My mind runs back to how I basically clung to him at the football game. How all I wanted to do was kiss him. How I wanted him to be mine instead of Camille's. But then she interrupted us. When she did that and I looked at her, I felt guilty, sad and disgusted with myself for liking a boy that's isn't mine.

Ryan stands in the doorway with baby Michael in his arms. They both watch Pepper, it's creepy kind of.

"Okay" Pepper steps back. "I'm done." She fixed some of the curls that came undone at the game, which we won obviously.

"Damn girl! You look hot!" Sarah comments

I swat her compliment away. Pepper unhooks my dress from the closet. She looks at Ryan. "Time for you to get out."

He kisses her cheek. "Yes ma'am." He closes the door behind him.

Pepper helps me into the dress, which hugs my body perfectly. "Thanks Pepper, for helping me and with the hair too."

She side hugs me. "You're welcome. Shane is gonna fall to his knees when he sees you."

I look at the floor. "He has a girlfriend Pepper. I already told you and my mom this."

Sarah smirks. "He asked her to dance with him tonight and she said no."

"What?" my moms says "you're dancing with him. Poor boy" She helps Sarah's slip her dress on. My best friend looks gorgeous, her blond hair looks stylishly messy and her black dress really frames her body. 

"Wow" my mom grabs a tissue "my girls! You two look beautiful!"

Sarah hooks her elbow with mine. "We're gonna kill this entrance."

I roll my eyes. "You mean you're gonna kill this entrance. With Jay" she starts to object but I cut her off. "You're going with him, I already called him. He's on his way."

Sarah pouts. "I don't want you to go alone"

"It won't be my first time." I hug her, thankful she's my best friend.

Pepper claps her hands. "Okay picture time!"

~|~

It was funny to see Jay standing in the doorway being intimidated by my dad and brother and he wasn't even my date. Once pictures got over with we rushed out of there. Now him and Sarah are making out in the backseat while I drive. I rides the volume of the music but even that doesn't drown them out.

I park the car and listen as Sarah and Jay whisper to each other. I roll my eyes, smiling. "I'll meet you guys inside"

"Okay" Sarah giggles before kissing Jay again. I leave them to. As I approach the front entrance, I take a deep breath. This is not my first time going solo, I totally got this. I stand a little taller then make my way inside.

As usual, I get stared at. It's usually out of pity since I don't have a date but this time it's different. Girls compliment me. "You look beautiful Grace" they say or "Wow she looks great!"