Chapter 4

Shane

I enter the kitchen as Sarah walks down the stairs. "Morning"

"Morning" I reply digging in the freezer and retrieving a box of waffles. "Where's Gracie?"

She gives me a look. "Where do you think? That girl can sleep. I tried shaking her awake but I gave up when she smacked me."

I laugh. "How's her face? Actually don't answer that I'll ask her myself." I feel a ping of guilt as I walk up the stairs to Gracie's room. I knock a few times but when I don't get an answer I decide to walk in. Gracie is sprawled on the bed her hair wild and messy. She has one arm tucked under her pillow and the other is at her side.

I tiptoe over to her and sit on the edge of the bed. "Gracie" I say gently. I tuck a strand of hair behind her ear.

"Gracie" I push on her shoulder a little harder. I lean over her, so close to her face I can see every little detail.

"Mmh" she murmurs at the same time letting out a little sigh.

"Grace" I laugh in her face. Her brown eyes snap open. They widen as she screams sitting forward. Our foreheads connect in a snap.

I groan as I fall to the floor, pressing a palm to my head. My forehead throbs as I sit up.

"I'm sorry" Grace exclaims "you scared me!" She throws the covers off and kneels at my side. I gulp as I take her in. She's wearing a crop top with a matching pair of shorts. I think back to when we were younger. She was so skinny and I never really noticed her assets. Now she has breasts and . . . oh god what am I thinking?

Her fingers lightly trail over my forehead. "It's just a bump. "You'll be fine" her lips spread into a smile. "Now we're even."

I set my palm against her cheek. A light purple bruise is more noticeable on her cheek. The cut on her eyebrow looks a little better than yesterday. But now she also has a red bump on her forehead. I sigh as my shoulders droop. I just keep hurting her without meaning to.

She looks at me with worry. "What's wrong?" As we gaze at each other understanding shows in her face. "I'm fine Shane." She intertwines our fingers. She has such an effect on me it's insane.

"You should get dressed, I'll meet you downstairs."

I avert my gaze as she finally looks down at her appearance. Her face instantly warms. She quickly grabs the covers, enveloping herself in them.

I smile to myself as I make my way back to the kitchen. I grab the waffles from the counter and insert them in the toaster. As I wait for my waffles to be done I sit on a stool by the bar and grab my phone. I scroll through the perfect laid out notes I wrote to ask Gracie to the dance. Sarah and I planned everything out. There's a carnival by the lake every year. My plan is to ask Gracie to go with me to the homecoming dance by giving her a silver rose bracelet that I ordered to be made specifically for her. Gracie loves roses and to me she's the white rose in all the red ones.

~|~

Grace

"No you're not wearing that to the carnival! You look like a hot dog covered with mustard!" Sarah shakes her head at me muttering things under her breath. She rummages through my bag, looking for a new outfit.

I scowl at her as I look at myself in the mirror. Maybe she's right, I do gotta admit that a tan shirt with yellow pants don't exactly run for eye-catching.

"Here." Sarah hands me a pair of blue jean shorts and a cute white t-shirt. "Don't say anything" she breathes "just go put it on. We will be waiting for you downstairs."

She looks at me sternly before leaving the room, quietly closing the door behind her. I  quickly take my clothes off and replace them with the new outfit. After I have brushed my teeth and reapplied some makeup I grab my purse and head downstairs.

Shane and Sarah are quietly discussing but stop as soon as I enter the room.

"Ready?" Shane asks

I nod. I narrow my eyes at them as we get in the car. There's something fishy going on here. But I'm not sure if I should approach them and just ask them about it. It could just be me being me; overacting and assuming things that are just not true.

When we park the car I'm the first one to get out and head straight for the ticket booth. I love carnivals just the smell of cotton candy and the exciting voices of adults and children playing games. Carnivals are exciting. I smile to myself as I wait in line.

Shane follows me. His blue eyes twinkle with amusement. "We have all day Gracie, no need to rush."

"I know, but you know me. I'm not very patient." I watch as Sarah hangs up the phone pure irritation on her face.

"Ugh! I hate that I have to do this for three months, I haven't even met the guy and he's already frustrating me!"

I frown. "What are you talking about?"

"It's Jay. The art kid I have to help. He's already bossing me around to get paint and canvases for him! Where the fuck am I suppose to get that!?" She crosses her arm, rolling her eyes.

"The store duh" Shane jokes trying to lighten the mood. Apparently Sarah doesn't find that funny because she glares at him.

He raises his arms in a defensive gesture "Hey, hey, I'm only trying to help." He grins. "You don't need to go all crazy on me."

I smack his arm. "Just leave her alone." I walk to Sarah and hug her. "I'll help you out, we can go shopping tomorrow after school. Everything will be fine"

"Thanks Grace." She looks at Shane then at me. "Now let's get some tickets and get this party started!"