Epilogue: Chapter 1 of "Stand Together."

Here it is! Remember this is the edited (shortened version) of Chapter 1 for my third book.

So I hope you enjoy this!!

-AnnaBeth.

***************************

Epilogue: Chapter 1 of, "Stand Together."

Breath in.

Breath out.

Breath in.

Breath out.

It's not rocket science.

As long as you don't stop breathing.

I clinch my right hand to keep it from trembling.

"You don't have to do this," Steve says.

"Yes. Yes I do," I reply.

Steve sighs,
"I don't want to hurt you," he says.

"Ready?" Tony asks.

"Let's do this," I say nervously.

"Go!" Tony yells.

Steve dives into action. His right arm attempting to force my left one down. Using whatever strength I have left I push my hand harder against his. But Steve is a super soldier, so he flattens my arm in less than three seconds.

"I told you he was the master at arm-wrestling," Beka says crossing her arms.

Steve, Beka, Tony, and I are sitting in the Helicarier's agent lounge, waiting for Peter to bring us snacks.

I rub my white fingers,
"Yeah. You're a beast, Steve. Literally you took the blood out of my hand," I say.

Steve smirks as he leans back in his leather chair. The seats in the lounge are nice. Really nice. I sit across from Steve, my chair a replica of his. A metal table rests between our two seats.

Tony and Beka sit on a couch that Tony and Steve moved closer to the table.

"Where's Pete?" Beka asks, "we sent him out for food like twenty minutes ago."

As if on cue Peter runs into the room.

"Found him," I say.

"Yeah, yeah. You're a genius," Peter mumbles throwing all sorts of snack items on the table, "let's see, I got snickers, popcorn, bananas, beef jerky, and a whole lot of kit-kats. Did I miss anything?" Peter asks as he grabs a banana and sinks in middle of the couch.

"You forgot cake," I say.

Steve, Tony, and I burst into laughter.

Beka and Peter stare, obviously confused, at us.

"It's an inside joke," I say.

"Okay. On the less koo-koo side of things," Beka says standing and grabbing a snickers, "Did you know that....."

"We don't care," Peter says groaning.

Beka slaps Peter's arms.

"Oww!" Peter howls.

We all laugh.

"By the way, where's Director Fury?" Peter asks.

"He's um...." Tony coughs awkwardly, "cleaning up the press from....you know," he says.

Our light mood drops drastically.

I do know. One month ago Loki Laufeyson gave his life for the city of New York....well, really me.