The Lazarus Experiment

"Theta come on, you know you love having Martha around just as much as I do." Rita telepathically protested watching him from the jump seat next to Martha.

"We promised one trip."

"You promised one trip" She corrected him. "I never promised her anything."

"Rita no, I made my promise."

"You already broke it by taking her to New New York."

"Rita, no. You know very well why we can't, I almost lost you to the Daleks, I can't keep the both of you safe." He told her turning a dial on the TARDIS console.

"You can't ever keep me one hundred percent, safe Doctor."

"But I can try, it's harder to do that with the two of you, especially when you jump into the slightest of danger."

"So do you!" She crossed her arms glaring at him, Martha looked at the brunette confused wondering what was going on inside her head, she then looked over at the Doctor noticing him glaring back at her.
"Yes but that's me, not you."

"I'm going to so kill you when she leaves."

"Not if I kill you first."

"Is that a challenge... Theta?" She smirked over at him.

"Only if you make it one"

"You only said that because you know too well that I could never do that." She raised her brows at him.

"There we go." The Doctor said aloud not commenting on what the Time Lady just told him. "Perfect landing. Which isn't easy in such a tight spot."

"You should be used to tight spots by now. Where are we?" Martha asked walking to the door. Rita whined a little sadly looking at the Doctor.

"Don't even think about using the eyes on me Rita" He pointed at her sternly while Martha had her back to the two. Rita huffed rolling her eyes at him. Martha then turned to look at them beside the door and the Doctor continued. "The end of the line. No place like it."

Martha stepped out beaming but then her face fell seeing where she was. "Home. You took me home?" She asked sadly.

"In fact, the morning after we left, so you've only been gone about twelve hours. No time at all, really." He replied.

"Are you sure it's been only twleve hours" Rita snorted. "I may not have foreknowledge anymore but I can remember old conversations. Twleve months Doctor." She wiggled a finger in his face teasingly.

"Don't make me leave you here as well." He teased back.

"You wouldn't dare."

"Watch me." He warned her causing her to roll her eyes.

"But all the stuff we've done. Shakespeare, New New York, old New York?" Martha sadly looked at the two of them.

"Yep, all in one night, relatively speaking. Everything should be just as it was. Books, CDs, laundry." He picked up a pair of Martha's clothes off of the clothing rack which she then grabbed. Rita swatted him on the back of the head scolding him and narrowing her eyes. "Ow." he rubbed the back of his head. "Back were you were, as promised." He looked at Martha then Rita emphersising the word 'promised'

"This is it?" Martha asked.

"Yeah, we should probably er-" He looked at Rita as a phone rang.

The answer machine then began. "Hi, I'm out. Leave a message." The Martha on the phone called out.