The Shakespeare Code - Two

There was a horrid cry of a scream. The Doctor and Rita jolted up in bed, jumped up then sprinted out of the room as Martha sat up groggily getting up only a moment after them. They ran across to where the noise came from. Shakespeare room.

"What? What was that?" Shakespear looked at them oblivious to what happened. The Doctor and Rita ran over to the woman known as Dolly and felt her neck for any possible heart beat as Martha moved to the window. her eyes widened as what looked like a classic white flew away on a broomstick, silhouetted against the moon.

"Her heart gave out." The Doctor informed them.

"She died of fright," Rita added.

"Stone? Doctor?" Martha agitatedly looked at them.

They both sprang to their feet moving over to the window and looking out of it staring into the London night, the only light glowing the outside area coming from the glistening moon. "What did you see? "

Martha gulped looking at them both in worry. "A witch."

----------------------------------------------------------------

After sunrise, the Doctor Rita and Martha were back in the Shakespeare room sitting at the table trying to think about what it could be that possibly killed the woman and the man last night. "Oh, sweet Dolly Bailey. She sat out three bouts of the plague in this place when we all ran like rats." Shakespear said to the three at the table while staring out o the window/ "But what could have scared her so? She had such enormous spirit." He turned and sat down opposite them.

The Doctor muttered quietly, quoting Dylan Thomas. "Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Rita thought about glaring at the Doctor, but he was a Time Lord to be fair, he knew the repercussions of his actions, if he did say that then he surely would know that Shakespear would not use it.

"I might use that," Shakespear said.

The Time Lords shook their heads and the Doctor warned: "You can't. It's someone else's."

"But the thing is, Lynley drowned on dry land, Dolly died of fright, and they were both connected to you." Martha nodded at Shakespear.

He frowned and said in an offended voice: "You're accusing me?"

Martha shook her head not meaning what she said in that way. "No, but I saw a witch, big as you like, flying, cackling away, and you've written about witches." Rita groaned.

"I have? When was that?" Shakespear looked at Martha strangely.

The Doctor looked over to her and quietly whispered to her. "Not, not quite yet."

"Peter Streete spoke of witches." Shakespeare thought mumbling out loud.

Martha frowned not understanding who he was talking about. "Who's Peter Streete?"

"Our builder. He sketched the plans to the Globe."

"The architect." The Doctor thought then looked at Rita who was also thinking. "Hold on. The architect!" He shouted and slammed his hands on the table, Rita slightly jumped losing any thought she had at that moment. "The architect! The Globe! Come on!" He ran out and Rita sprinted after him with Martha and Shakespear following her. "

----------------------------------------------------------------

When entering the theatre the Doctor started pacing around thinking, Rita and Martha along with Shakespear headed onto the stage. Rita then sat down on the edge letting her feet dangle as she thought. "The columns there, right? Fourteen sides." The Doctor asked continuing to pace around. "I've always wondered, but I never asked. Tell me, Will. Why fourteen sides?"