Human Nature - Two

"Sorry that we had to change the time Martha." Rita apologised walking with her friend on the stone path towards an old barn.

"It's fine, what changed though?" She curiously asked.

"Oh well, Mister Smith offered to show me around the village, I can't say no to that offer because we have no idea how much longer we will be here for. Hopefully it isn't too long, but still."

"You and him are getting quite close." She raised a brow.

"No Martha." Rita chuckled. "He was just being polite."

"You like him."

"I like no one." She sternly protested.

"You kissed the Doctor." She reminded her.

"I did not!" She squeaked as her eyes widened a little.

"You so did!" Martha pointed at Rita happily. "You do love the Doctor!"

"I... I..." she stuttered diverting her eyes in every possible direction but the human in front of her. "Martha Jones we will not mention a word of this. Not to him, not to anyone."

"But you kissed him before? Didn't he say anything to you?"

"No, he didn't." She shook her head. "He probably thought I would run off again." She ran a hand through her hair. "Oh this is my worst nightmare, ten thousand Daleks, that's nothing compared to..." she swallowing looking at the floor before muttering under her breath. "Loving the Doctor."

"Sorry, what was that?" Martha teased cupping an ear to hear better.

"I said, 'Loving the Doctor'." Rita sighed shaking her head.

"If you wish to not mention it to him I won't." Martha hummed opening the door to the old barn. Rita followed and beamed patting the TARDIS.

"Hey, there old girl." She patted the door once more then followed Martha inside.

"You're talking to a machine." Martha laughed.

"Oh, she's more than a machine, TARDISes were not built but grown, in a way they are alive. She hums and talks to me sometimes, very rarely though." Rita walked up to the console patting the rotor.

"You miss him don't you?" Martha sadly asked.

"It would be lying if I said that I haven't missed him since he said he would have to do it." Rita sighed. "Working in Bath was driving my crazy, I had little to no time to myself and the boys at the private school were not the best behaved."

"That's terrible," Martha muttered. "How are you so formal when around him?" She then asked leaning against the console.

"I mentioned about my parents once correct?" She asked and Martha nodded. "Well I had to repeatedly talk like that, the habit broke but sometimes old habits are still there, like an echo waiting to be restarted again." She explained then looked at the monitor. "Have you looked at what he left?"

"Yeah." Martha went over to the monitor and pressed a button. A pre-recorded video then appeared.

"This working?" The Doctor from before he changed tapped the screen. "Martha, before I change, here's a list of instructions for when I'm human: One, don't let me hurt anyone. We can't have that, but you know what humans are like. Two, don't worry about the TARDIS. I'll put it on emergency power so they can't detect it. Just let it hide away. Four. No, wait a minute, three. No getting involved in big historical events. Four, you. Don't let me abandon you. And fi-" she then started to fast forward the recording.

"I'm guessing he was ranting on about pears." She chuckled. "If we could do this in real life it would be brilliant."

"If only."Martha chuckled with the brunette.