Eight

Gabe didn't know what to do, and he hated that. Sam wasn't picking up his calls, and the only reason Gabe wasn't completely freaking out was because he had called Dean to make sure Sam got home okay.

"Give him time. He likes you, he'll come around," Dean had said. So that's what Gabe did. He waited, and he waited, and he nearly drove himself mad waiting, until one day, he couldn't wait any more, and he drove to Sam and Dean's apartment.

When Sam opened the door, his face went from polite interest to shame in the blink of an eye.

"What are you doing here?" He asked. Gabriel tried to give him a smile.

"Aren't you going to let me in?" He asked. Sam frowned but stood aside and Gabe walked past him into the living room.

"Gabe, what are you doing here?" Sam repeated. Gabriel turned to face Sam.

"Sam, please tell me what's wrong," he said. Sam's eyes glistened with tears.

"Gabe I just can't do this. I'm sorry, but... my dad... when Dean tried to come out to him, it was horrible. First there was a big shouting match, and then Dad wouldn't talk to Dean for weeks. And there's been other stuff since then, but my point is... I'm scared. And I've tried to make that go away; I want to make that go away, for you, but I can't. I just can't. I'm not ready for this. I'm sorry," Sam said. Gabriel felt tears fill his eyes. Sam looked so broken, he looked so... defeated.

"I could be your secret boyfriend. No one would have to know unless you wanted them to," Gabriel said, desperate. Sam shook his head.

"That's not who you are, I can't ask you to do that. We just can't be together, Gabriel. I'm so sorry," he said. Gabriel took a few steps until he was standing right in front of Sam and took his hands.

"Okay. I'll back off. But I still want to be around you, and when you're ready, I will be here. I'll wait as long as it takes, Sam," Gabe said.

"Why?" Sam asked.

"Because I love you," Gabriel said. And there was no doubt in his mind that he meant it.