Eighteen

Gabriel looked from Sam to Madison.

"W-What are you doing here?" Sam asked, all of a sudden looking more nervous than Gabe had ever seen him.

"I was just going to the animal clinic," Madison said.

"Oh. I-I was just, uh... walking home," Sam said. Madison looked at Gabe and he glared back at her.

"Who's your friend?" She asked.

"I'm Gabriel," Gabe said. She smiled, but he didn't.

"I'm Madison. Sam and I used to date," she said. Sam looked down at the ground.

"I know," Gabriel said.

"So Sam, how have you been?" Madison asked.

"I... N-Not bad," Sam said. Gabriel took Sam's hand but Sam pulled away.

"Are you guys... Sam, I didn't realize," Madison said. For a second Sam looked ashamed and Gabriel resisted the urge to punch Madison in the face.

"Yeah, well, we should go," Gabe said, taking Sam's arm and leading him away.

"Okay. Bye," Madison called after them. Neither Gabriel nor Sam looked back at her.

***

"Are you okay?" Gabriel asked as Sam sat on the couch back at his apartment, Moose curling up next to him.

"I... I don't know. Seeing Madison... she seemed so normal," Sam said.

"Sam... you don't have to tell me anything you don't want to, but... what was so special about Madison? I know break-ups are hard, but... this seems different," Gabe said, sitting next to Sam.

"Madison... she was special to me. I was... going to propose. I wanted to marry her, Gabe. But... apparently she didn't feel the same. She cheated on me," Sam told Gabe. Gabriel took Sam's hand. How could anyone not be happy with Sam Winchester?

"I'm so sorry, Sam," he said. "She was stupid."

"She just didn't even... she acted like it was mutual," Sam said, staring at the coffee table.

"Just forget about her, Sam. You're better off without her," Gabriel said, kissing Sam softly. Sam stood up.

"You should probably go home. Thanks for trying to help, but right now I just want to sleep," Sam said. Gabriel stood up too.

"Okay. I'll see you soon?" Gabriel asked. Sam nodded and Gabriel left. Even though it would've meant he never would've gone out with Sam, seeing the look on his face still made Gabe wish he could go back in time and stop Madison from being so stupid.