Eleven

When Sam woke up on his birthday, he didn't expect anything to be different. Twenty-Four, big deal. At least he wasn't scheduled to work. When he finally got out of bed, he wasn't sure what to do with himself. He didn't feel like celebrating, but he didn't know what else to do. Eventually he settled down to a movie, but he was only halfway through when someone knocked on the door. Sam walked over and when he opened the door, who else would be there but Gabe?

"Happy Birthday, Samsquatch!" Gabriel exclaimed.

"How do you know that?" Sam asked as Gabe stepped inside.

"Dean told Cas, Cas told me. Did you think you were going to make it through a birthday without anyone saying anything?" Gabe asked.

"I was hoping," Sam said.

"Well it didn't work. We're going out to celebrate; I have some serious plans for you," Gabe said.

***

Gabriel's first plan was burgers. The burgers were good, and Sam enjoyed talking to Gabe, but he was still slightly disappointed. He'd expected more from Gabe.

"Gabe, we get burgers on any given day," Sam said.

"Well that day isn't over yet, Moose," Gabriel said. Sam smiled.

"Okay. I trust you," he said.

"That's a bad choice," Gabriel told him, smiling. Sam chuckled.

"So have you... have you thought any more about us?" Gabriel asked. Sam sighed as a fresh wave of guilt washed over him.

"Nothing has changed. I'm sorry, Gabriel," he said. Gabriel just shook his head.

"No, I'm sorry I brought it up. I shouldn't have done that," he said. Sam didn't say anything, he didn't have a clue what to say.

"Okay, on to the next thing!" Gabriel exclaimed. Sam smiled and stood up, glad for the distraction.

The next stop was Gabriel's apartment. Sam was skeptical, but he couldn't help but smile at the badly masked grin on Gabe's face. Gabriel opened the door and they both walked inside. For a second Sam just looked around, wondering why they were here, but the he was distracted by a golden retriever puppy rocketing up to them. Sam grinned and knelt down as the puppy slid to a halt at his feet.

"Gabe, I didn't know you had a dog!" Sam exclaimed happily, rubbing the puppy's head. Gabriel was grinning too.

"I don't. She's yours," he said. Sam looked around at Gabriel sharply.

"Really?" He asked incredulously.

"Yeah. She's yours. I saw her just a few days ago, and I already knew about your birthday, so... I got her for you," Gabe said. Sam stood up, bringing the puppy with him.

"Thank you!" He said enthusiastically, hugging Gabe.

"You're welcome, Samsquatch," Gabe replied.

"What's her name?" Sam asked, sitting on Gabe's couch and petting the puppy. He couldn't remember being this happy in a long time.

"That's for you to decide," Gabe said. Sam stared at the puppy's face for a minute, trying to decide, but it was when he looked at Gabriel that it came to him.

"Her name is Moose."