three

CHAPTER THREE

CHAPTER THREE

It grew cold rather quickly and I shivered as I continued to walk down the dimly lit streets. Although I knew this neighbourhood was far from dangerous, I still felt like someone was following me yet whenever I turned to look, no one was there.

I pull my jacket further over my shoulders, keeping my head down as a group of teens walk by, obviously drunk as they laugh aimlessly, bottles of vodka in their hands as they pass it to one another.

Some street lamps flicker as they run out of power, meaning that I was pretty much left alone in the dark once I turned the corner. I've never wanted to be at home and in bed more than I do now. 

I hated the dark. Not being it, but the eerie aura that revolves around it: the thought that anyone could be lurking in the shadows, watching my every move.

I'm thankful I chose flat shoes instead of heels because I'd have had to take them off and walk barefoot, because my feet would be aching.

A car horn pulls me out of my thoughts and I turn around to see my sister's car pulling up. Sighing with relief, I open the door to the car and clamber in, smiling at my sister.

"Why the hell didn't you call?!" Angela asked, sighing also. "I've been worried sick trying to find you. It's a good job your friends told me you'd left."

"I forgot my phone, sorry." I shrugged and she rolls her eyes at me, muttering snarky comments under her breath.

"I don't know how you're going to cope at the homecoming bonfire," She shakes her head at me. "Next time I won't be picking you up and you'll have to get home by yourself."

"I'll be with Luisa and Ana, then," I remark and sigh. The homecoming bonfire was like our homecoming dance — there was music, dancing, food and drinks, just we don't do it in the gym, we do it next to a huge bonfire.

Edgy, I now.

It's always closed to being cancelled every year because of fire safety issues and underage drinking, but, by the time everyone is drunk, someone would hold a party afterwards where everyone will get more than drunk.

As we pull up to our house, Angela parks the car and takes the key out. We go inside and thankfully our parents aren't home because my sister made a mess finding her keys.

She notices my wide eyes as I take in the surroundings and laughs, "Don't worry, I'll tidy it all up. Go get a shower and you can come down and have some water. There's paracetamol in the bottom draw too."

"Right, thanks."

⧫ ⧫ ⧫

"I will fight you on this," I give Luisa a challenging glare as her claws dig into the coke can. "I bought it, you did not. It's mine."

"Finders keepers," Luisa smirks and my glare hardens, yanking it towards me. She does the same and the coke can flies in the ear, causing me to squeal and jump from my spot. The coke lands behind me, thankfully not getting me on its journey.

Dried up coke equals sticky mess.

I turn around to find where the coke landed, but I only find an annoyed Brad with a coke can in his hair. I hold back a snort.

He scowls, "Which one of you idiots thought it was okay to send a coke can flying and land on my hair? Do you know how long it took for me to do it this morning?"

"I'll give you a hint," James says who's stood beside Brad. "No less than five minutes."

"I woke up late, okay?!" Brad whisper-shouts at James who holds up his hands in surrender. Finding the situation humorous, I smile.

"Look, many apologies, Bradley, but I kind of don't care," I say, turning around and strutting away, only to hear Brad shouting something about revenge.

And that was the start of my hangover-free Monday morning.

Chris from the soccer team jogs up and walks with me and Luisa, talking about the game that's on tonight.

"I mean, you should definitely come! It would be great to see some pretty faces in the crowd tonight," He smiles at us both and I look out Luisa for confirmation.

"We'll be there," I agree. "As long as you win."

"Of course we will! We have the best striker on the field," He smirks. "See you there ladies — I have class to get to."

Yeah, and so do we.

"Bye!" I smile and he walks away, grinning. Letting out a breath we didn't know we were holding, Luisa and I roll our eyes.

Fair enough, he has the looks and (if he really tried) he has the brains too. However, after years of growing up in such a typical high school, I know he wants to put it in the oven.

And yes, ladies and gentlemen of the twenty-first century, I mean he wants to get laid.

"I hear Brad's on the soccer team," Luisa says as we walk down the hall to second period class. "I'm not sure what position he plays, but I'll find out for you."

"For me?"

"Yes, for you," Luisa sighs. "Because, my dearest best friend, although you may be oblivious to it, you and Brad would make an amazing couple."

"Me and Brad?" I snort, earning a well-deserved eye roll off of Luisa.

"How ladylike of you," she says sarcastically before rambling on about her new crush. I tune myself out and listen to my own thoughts instead.

I hate Brad with a burning passion, and that's under-exaggeration. He's lucky that in my spare time I don't think of ways to slowly murder him like I did in fourth grade with Calum (I never learned his last name because I was learning his weaknesses — plus he moved to Australia to live his sad, sad life after I told him the beauties of digging holes in people's heads who steal other people's candies. Especially girls).

Is that not a clear enough demonstration of how much I hate B–?

"Earth to Mollie?!" Luisa waves her hand over my face and it hurts for some reason. I give her a funny look and she sighs. "You walked into a wall. You seriously have, like, no spacial awareness."

"Sorry, I was thinking," I shake my head, clearing my thoughts. I didn't even noticed I'd walked face-first into a wall: weird, right?

edited.