fourteen

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

I walked into school that Monday with a smile on my face, which I don't usually do. My friends noticed as I sat next to them, including Grant.

"Good morning," I smile as I pull out my fizzy drink that I'd bought before school. "How are we all?"

Although she raised an eyebrow, Luisa was the first to reply, "We're okay. What's got you in such a. . . smiley mood?"

"Nothing," I shake my head, lying to their face. "I'm just in a good mood this morning — my dad dropped me off at school."

"That explains it all," Ana mutters sarcastically and Grant just looks at me with a look in his eyes that I couldn't put my finger on. He looked as if he was searching me, looking for the real reason I was so happy. "Are you gonna tell us why you're actually this happy?"

"Okay, but," I warn them. "You can not tell anyone—not even your family. Promise?"

"Promise," All three see in sync and I let out a happy smile.

"Okay, so for my birthday Brad text me and said he wanted to take me out for, like, an unofficial date," I begin explaining. "So he picked me up and managed to persuade me to go the field fair–"

"Are you crazy?!" Grant interrupts, unimpressed with a scowl on his face. "Did he get you to drugs or–?"

"No, no!" I shake my head, stopping him from interrogating me. "We actually just sat at the field for a bit and then we. . . we kissed!"

The girls' faces turn into a grin and they squeal clapping their hands, but Grant goes pale, as if he saw a ghost.

I ignore his reaction — maybe it was just a surprise, "So I wanna find him today and. . . talk with him about it."

"Was he a good kisser?" Luisa wiggles her eyebrows and I laugh.

"It wasnt that he was good - or bad, obviously - it was just that there was so much emotion in the kiss and–"

"And it was probably coming all off of you," Grant stood up. "Brad is a self-centred jerk and wouldn't be able to sustain a girlfriend for longer than a day if he doesn't get laid ever five minutes by them. Trust me, Mol, I've met guys like him too many times and he won't do anything than break your heart."

My mouth is open, ajar, and I'm surprised and shocked by his sudden outburst.

"A-are you jealous?" Ana stutters, and Grant rolls his eyes. "You're jealous that someone else is interested in Mollie and you think it's okay to manipulate—"