thirteen

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

"Mollie! Someone's at the door for you!" I groan as my mother's voice fills the house and I get up from my desk. When I don't reply, she shouts again. "Mollie!"

"I heard you the first time!" I yell back and slip on my shoes. Surprisingly, Brad wasn't late so I wasn't ready yet since I'd assumed he'd be a least half an hour late. When I get to the door, my mother walks off and I stand there awkwardly.

"Uh, you'll need a jacket," Brad says and I nod, getting my jacket from the coat rack.

"Be back by one," My mom walks through the kitchen door through to the hallway. "Extra points if it's twelve forty-five."

"Will do, Mrs. Friend," Brad nods and I turn to face the door, rolling my eyes at him. He smirks and closes the door shut behind me before walking beside me to the car.

"Where are we actually going?" I ask, sighing as he unlocks the car. "And surely you're not legally able to drive yet?"

"My parents paid for my drivers' ed last year and I got my drivers licence earlier on this year," He informs me as he opens the door. I climb in and he shuts it before jogging round to get in the drivers' side.

"Sorry, I forgot you have a trust fund in each continent," I roll my eyes at him and he chuckles.

"I have two in Europe," He corrects and I just roll my eyes again. "And to answer your other question, we're going to the fair that's on tonight."

"The field fair?" I ask and he nods, pulling off the driveway.

The field fair is very self-explanatory — every year there's a huge fair on a huge field and everyone in our school goes and more. It's a big event, and usually there's a party afterwards for everyone to get wasted. My mom and dad had never let me go, but from what I'd heard about it, I didn't want to anyway.

"I don't like that idea," I shift in my seat. "Did you know that last year someone took a line of drugs and died?! If my parents find out that I've gone then–!"

"Just don't tell your parents that you went," Brad laughs. "And his name was Nate, right? The guy that died?"

"I think so."

"He was a drug addict anyway, and they were his drugs. If he didn't take them then, he would've took them a different day," Brad explains. "He put himself at risk."

"Are you trying to justify his death to make it seem like it–?"

"Stop talking," He rolls his eyes. "You'll be fine, trust me - I wouldn't let anything happen to you. Ever."

"Okay," I say with a hint of uncertainty laced in my tone and he smiles lightly at me. "How long will we be?"

"Ten minutes at the most," Brad informs me before switching on the stereo to play some music. Godzilla by With Confidence begins playing and Brad taps his hands against the steering wheel. I watch, intrigued by his actions, as he hums to the song.

After fifteen minutes, we were delayed because of traffic, we arrive at the field fair. Already, the ground was swarmed with teenagers, loud music and a strong buzz.

I jump out of the car and Brad walk around to me, "Are you warm enough?"

"Uh, yeah," I look down at my thin jacket. I'd definitely underestimated how cold it was outside. He nods and begins walking and I follow him.

People shouted at Brad and waved and he obviously returned the welcoming gesture but continued walking past them, his hand planted firmly on my hip.

"Where are we going?" I shout over the loud chatter and the painfully annoying fair ground music. He doesn't answer and I assume he doesn't hear me, so I continue following him.

We make it to the other side of the fair and walk off the opposite side of the grounds, where the furthest people linger is just outside the fence to have some weed or cigarette.

"What are we doing?" I asked, surprised that we've walked straight through.

"Do you seriously think I'd join in with their drugs and unsafe rides all night?" He laughs innocently as he slips off his jacket and places it on the wet, grassy field.

"Well, I assumed–"

"Yeah, everyone seems to do a lot of assuming about me," He huffs and sits down. Hesitantly, he holds up his hand for me to take. "Sit down."

I take his hand and he pulls me down gently and I cross my legs, "Do you ever get annoyed that people assume everything about you?"

"Most of the time, yeah," He replies. "People don't understand what goes on behind the scenes, so they think everything's perfect."

"I get you," I agree. "People think I'm a always happy because I'm smiling at school all the time but my parents pressure me into doing the best at school. I'm not happy when I'm at home."

"People think because my parents have money that I'm rich," Brad explains. "My mum works in the industry business and gets loads of money but is always facing trials against frauds and stuff — it's never easy being the rich kid."

I look up at him and he stares back. At that moment the stars that were shining above us were spinning but the world was in slow motion.

His hand made its way hesitantly to my cheek and his face leaned closer to mine. His eyes flutter close and I mirror his actions almost immediately.

Our lips connect and it's just like the novels you read as a young teen. There weren't literal fireworks in my stomach but it felt like my whole body was turning itself inside out. My cheeks flushed pink as our lips moved in sync.

I pull away and stare at him, there's so much emotions in his eyes and he eventually smiles widely at me before standing up.

"Shall we walk around?"