twenty eight

CHAPTER TWENTY EIGHT

"Who's doing dinner?" Tristan yells as he walks through the house. Currently, me, Brad and the girls are watching a horror film that's not that scary—Connor got scared and went to pee but never came back.

"Can't we order some takeout food?" Ana replies lazily.

"Yeah, and increase the chance of us getting fat?" Tristan says sarcastically. "I say chicken nuggets and chips: a fakeaway."

"I'm not making it," Luisa and Ana say at the same time, as if they shared the same thoughts.

"I'm not making it either!" I hear Con's faint voice shout.

"Looks like its me and you, babe," Brad pulls me off of the sofa as I grunt in dismay. I hate cooking with a passion—I can't make toast without burning it to charcoal.

He drags me into the kitchen and reveals the fridge, "What have we got?" I ask and he scans over the choices.

"I say we make some chicken wraps and tomato sauce, yeah?" He says as he pulls out the chicken.

I take a look inside, "We have some cubed and some dippers. How about we use some cocktail sausages and cook the cubed chicken and make little kebabs too?"

"Awesome," Brad says and grabs all we need. He turns on the oven to preheat and undoes the packaging.

"Don't burn the house down," I laugh as I sit down on one of the bar stools.

"Why on Earth would I do that?" He snorts and begins getting out pans and stuff. Honestly, I've never really cooked before so it's best to just leave Brad to it since he looks like he knows what he's doing.

"Well, you have a maid that does all of the cooking so I'm surprised you even know how to cook," I laugh halfheartedly and he smiles up at me as he grabs some vegetables to cook.

"When I was younger, I'd always watch her cooking the food, and if my parents were out I'd even help her," he explains. "I don't get the chance to cook anymore."

"How come?"

"I'm always out on business meetings with my father." Brad sighs. "He's always wanted to introduce me to the whole board so I'd take over his place when I'm older and he retires."

"Do you want to do that?"

"Are we playing twenty questions or something?" He laughs. "I'm not sure what I wanna do when I'm older: I have college and everything yet."

We fall silent. I wasn't sure what to say and Brad was concentrating on cooking.

"Could you pass me the plates?" Brad asks and I quickly get up and hand them to him. He thanks me and begins wrapping everything together and puts the sausages on the cocktail sticks.

Eventually, we're all in the dining room, grabbing food and laughing at each other.

"So what's the crack with you two?" Tristan wiggles his eyebrows at us.

"Nothing," I laugh lightly.

"Yeah," Brad agrees. "We're just taking things. . . slow."

"I bet you've fucked at least once," Connor says and I snort out loud. "That just confirms it!"

"It confirms that you're mind is dirty," Brad retorts.

"He watches porn and wanks off to it because he knows he'll never get a girlfriend," laughs Tristan.

"It's Tristan porn," Connor laughs.

"The fuck is Tristan porn?" Ana asks.

"Of course you'll want to know," Luisa laughs and Ana rolls her eyes.

"I wanna know too! What the fuck is Tristan porn?" Tristan says, confused.

"It's the porn you film," Luisa whispers and then puts her hand over her mouth as she giggles.

"W-what?! I don't film porn!" Tristan says, blushing.

"This conversation escalated too quickly," I say and stand up. "I'm going to go outside."

"I'll join you!" Brad says instantly as he also stands up and he takes my hand, surprising me. We walk out and he pulls me closer. "How come you wanted to be out here?"

"Like I said, the conversation had escalated way too quickly." I laugh halfheartedly.

"Right," he nods and wraps his arms around my waist. "If that's what you think."

"What do I think?" I raise an eyebrow. His chin is pressed against my shoulder as we both look out at the lake and the sun that rests on the horizon.

"I think you were going to leave in hope I would follow you and then seduce me," he whispers into my ear and shivers run down my spine.

"That was definitely not my plan," I laugh, trying not seem effected by our close proximity.

"Hmm, you keep lying to me," he chuckles quietly.

"I'm not lying! I promise!" I laugh as I spin around in his arms, his hands slightly tightening on my waist as I do so.

"Can I tell you something?" He says with a small smile with a quiet voice.

"If its mildly appropriate," I joke and he rolls his eyes, playfully smiling. "I'm kidding, of course you can."

"Well," he says and somehow manages to pull me closer. "I have something to say."

"Tell me," I place my hands on his chest and arch my back, urging him to tell me.

"It's three words," he smiles. "Seven letters. I love you."

I laugh. He lets go of me and frowns and I feel bad.

"Wait, oh my God! I-I - it's not what you think!" I splutter with a giggle. "You said it had seven letters but it has eight!"

"Oh?"

I calm down in an instant, seeing his not amused. I step close to him and put a hand on his cheek.

"And I love you too," I say and he puts his hand on mine, holding it closer to his cheek. "Even though you're stupid."

"Way to ruin the moment, babe."