seven

CHAPTER SEVEN

CHAPTER SEVEN

"What?" I huff and roll over on my bed. After an agonisingly long week, it's the weekend and (drumroll please). . . I got my phone back! My mom and dad went to get it for me on Friday, saying they were proud of me for not complaining.

I was, just internally.

Anyway, so I was sleeping in like I always do on Saturday and Sundays and then my phone began ringing and it was Luisa.

"Hey to you too," She says, sarcasm rolling off of her tongue with ease — it seems to run in our group of friends. "So. . . Grant's holding a party tonight and I wanted to invite you before he got the chance! Please say you'll come!?"

"I'm still very grounded," I bite my lip, debating whether to go or not. "And my phone's still glitching out-"

"You're cracking up!" She exclaims. "I'll take that as a yes; I'll pick you up at eight!"

I sigh as she ends the call. Another problem with my phone now is that, even when I'm in amazing cell service areas, it cracks up on the other end — it's another reason I want to murder Brad Simpson.

I climb out of bed and jog downstairs, slipping on my slippers that were at the bottom of the stairs. My mom and dad are in the kitchen, making breakfast and gossiping.

"Morning sweetheart," My dad says and I smile, grabbing a glass of water. "Have you got any plans for today?"

"I was actually wondering if I could go to a party tonight?" I ask and my mom tenses.

"That sounds great!" My dad claps his hands and I smile, taking a sip of my water.

"She's grounded, remember?" My mom scolds him and he sighs, turning to his cup of tea and taking a sip.

"I think she's been cooped in her room all week and deserves to have a bit of fun, right?" Dad reasons and my mom glances at me before sighing.

"You know what she's like, though," Mom mutters.

Dad chuckles, "So what if she gets drunk? We were just the same."

"You guys are talking about me like I'm not here," I attempt a joke and my mom rolls her eyes. It falls silent and I'm too scared to say anything or move.

"No, you're not going," Mom says finally. "I'm not picking you up at god knows when in the morning! And Angela has plenty of college stuff to be working on and your dad might want a rest from his work!"

"You won't need to pick me up," I explain. "It's a party at Grant's house so I'll stay at his house and come back in the morning!"

"Are his parents aware of this party?" Mom asks and I quickly nod, even though I'm pretty sure they're not.