Preparation and Premonition

Updated: 2021.08.17

You were sitting in the living room, staring blankly at the TV in front of you. It was about four in the afternoon and you still hadn't heard any kind of information pertaining to the "mission" Oliver mentioned earlier that morning. He had disappeared as soon as your conversation had ended, and had been gone all morning, only leaving a note on the refrigerator stating he'd left to meet the associate joining you on the mission. Other than that, nothing. You were growing apprehensive.

"Can you stop freaking out? It's getting annoying."

You jumped at Roy's deep voice behind you and turned in your seat to find him leaning against the wall, a distasteful look on his face. Despite your anxious state, you couldn't help but stare at the redhead; he was sporting a red button-down shirt that complimented his muscular build extremely well, accompanied by a pair of sleek black dress pants, a pair of dress shoes and a long black tie hanging loosely around his neck. When he let out a sigh and rolled up the sleeves of his shirt to his elbows, you almost lost it. 

"Sorry," you muttered, turning back around to face the TV. Roy rolled his eyes and pushed himself from the doorway, striding up to the back of the couch. He stopped right behind you, and although you didn't acknowledge him, you even more nervous with him standing so close. 

"You know, that isn't helping," you continued, scooting off the couch and moving to the kitchen. Roy watched as you began aimlessly digging around in the cabinets; you hadn't had breakfast, and it was well past the time for lunch. You were hungry, to say the least. You smiled to yourself after discovering a package of Oreos sitting on one of the higher shelves, and wasted no time crawling onto the kitchen counter to grab them. Roy shook his head as he watched you slip on your way down, falling backward behind the island with a screech.

"So, I make you nervous?" He called, silently enjoying the sight of your head barely peeking up over the edge of the island, eyes narrowing dangerously in his direction.

"I never said that," you muttered, pulling yourself off the floor with the Oreos tucked safely to your chest. Roy shrugged and lazily jumped over the back of the couch, landing with a soft groan.

"Whatever you say, newbie." He placed his hands behind his head as he lounged back, kicking his feet up onto the cushions you'd previously been occupying. You frowned, but decided against arguing and instead moved to sit in the armchair on the other side of the living room.

"Even if I'd meant it the way it sounded," you started, placing the package of Oreos in your lap, "it's because I don't like feeling like I'm on twenty-four-hour surveillance. You haven't let me out of your sight since I got here." Roy's eyes widened sarcastically as he looked in your direction. 

"Uh, yeah!" He snapped, scoffing. "Just because Ollie trusts you doesn't mean I have to. I don't know where you came from, or what you're really doing here." You shrunk back into the chair, lowering your head a bit. You were well aware Roy was suspicious of you, but it wasn't like you had many other options at the moment. 

"If you really want to make a good impression on Ollie, I suggest you get changed," Roy suddenly muttered, leaning his head against the armrest and closing his eyes. "We're heading out at 19:00, and last I heard, it takes women a few years to get ready."

"Is that why you spent all morning in the bathroom?" You murmured to yourself, praying to God Roy hadn't heard. Luckily, he hadn't.

"Unfortunately, I don't have any dress clothes," you announced, pursing your lips, "so I'm waiting until Oliver returns with his friend, or whatever." Roy scoffed, raising his eyebrows.