Re-encounters and Icy Roads Ahead

Updated: 2021.10.13 

Happy New Years. 

"This is ridiculous; don't villains ever take a holiday?" Red Arrow scoffed, rolling his eyes as he and Tiger Lily crept across the busted rooftop of an abandoned warehouse in the middle of Star City.

"Yes, because notorious criminals sometimes think, 'hey, wouldn't it be great if we just didn't try to destroy the world today?'" he mocked, earning a scowl and a sock in the shoulder.

You followed Red Arrow as he leapt across an alleyway to the building beside the warehouse. "No need to be sarcastic about it."

"Well, don't ask stupid questions."

Rather than retort, your gaze became fixated on Red Arrow in front of you--or, rather, what was strapped to his back. "I didn't expect you to actually use that thing. You could've just hung it on your wall, or something." Red Arrow paused for a moment to remove the bow, holding it out in front of him.

"My old bow is practically ancient compared to this thing. Not to mention, it's crazy accurate, more-so than my old one." You lowered your head a bit to hide the smile creeping across your face as Red Arrow refastened the bow to his back.

"With the possibility of it being a stupid question," you chided, earning an eye roll, "can I ask why we're taking this route to the building? We didn't go this way the last time we went to IFLI."

"Maybe not, but you have to admit it's a lot more fun running across rooftops than just sauntering down the street," Red Arrow murmured, jumping onto the fire escape off the side of the building before leaping into the alley below.

"I guess you're right," you murmured. "Even if it seems a bit more risky."

"You've been a rookie vigilante for months and you're concerned about the danger aspect of walking across rooftops rather than taking the sidewalk?" Red Arrow scoffed. "You really are a wimp."

"Then I probably shouldn't mention the fact that I do not appreciate the negative-degree weather," you shot back, rubbing at your arms. "These suits aren't exactly heat-preserving, you know." Red Arrow glanced back at you over his shoulder, taking note of the small clouds accumulating in front of him with every breath.

"We'll be inside soon," he replied, turning back. "It'll be warmer."

You huffed out a small sigh of relief as the IFLI building slowly crept into view. The two of you made your way to the back of the building, stepping up to the door that's been used to access the building on your previous mission.

"Shit," Red Arrow hissed, crouching down as he eyed the lock. "They switched to electronic locks; when did that happen?"

"We haven't heard from them in almost a month," you replied. "They probably started taking extra precautions so we couldn't sneak back in the same way."

"Thanks for the rundown, Sherlock," Red Arrow muttered, rising to his feet. "We still can't get in unless we get the code or find some way to hack the--" He was cut off when you pulled the 9 mil from your belt and shoved the barrel of the silencer against the panel before pulling the trigger. The front of the panel sparked before going dark, and Red Arrow hesitated for a moment before reaching out and turning the handle. The door swung open with a creak, though there wasn't time for you to offer him a smug look before another gunshot ripped through the air. 

This one wasn't yours.

"Move!" Red Arrow shoved you out of the doorway as another round of shots came bursting from the inside of the building. You dove over the stairway's railing and skittered behind a dumpster, pulling out both your ACP and 9 mil.