Names and Nagging

Updated: 2021.08.19

The moment we've all been waiting for. . .

(Y/N) gets her hero name!

"Guys, this is completely unnecessary," you mumbled, folding your arms over your chest as you watched Dinah emerge from the stairway behind you. The blonde smiled, walking over to Oliver and giving him a kiss on the cheek.

"Oh, come on, (Y/N)," Dinah pouted, jutting out her bottom lip. "This is a big deal! I just wanted to be a part of it." You suddenly felt guilty, and you lowered your eyes to the floor with a little huff.

"Okay, fine," you replied, "I'm sorry. I just don't know what the big deal is with coming up with a hero name for me!"

"Are you kidding?" Dinah scoffed, shaking her head. "Becoming a vigilante is one thing, but creating a name for yourself in our line of work is another thing--a huge thing. This should be the most exciting part! Well, this and creating your costume, which I will also be helping you with." You inwardly cringed as you inconspicuously eyed Dinah's outfit, which happened to be a cropped black tank top and leather jacket over high-waisted black skinny jeans and ankle boots.

Yeah, that'll be interesting, you thought to herself before replying with, "Alright, fine. I just want to get this over with so I can start training, or whatever." Oliver grinned as he turned around and pulled up a blank document on one of the computer monitors. He then took a seat at the computer and typed in "(Y/N)'s Hero Name Ideas", which was then displayed on the projected screen in front of the group.

"Okay, so does anyone have any ideas?" you asked, looking around the room. While Oliver was at the computer and Dinah was right beside her, Roy was lounging around in the back of the room, messing with his bow while perching himself on one of the tables behind you.

"How about 'Poison Oak'?" He mumbled, rolling his eyes. "I mean, you can't get much closer to the original, right?" You frowned, an uncomfortable chill rolling down your spine.

"Actually, I'd prefer to stay as far away from the original as possible," you muttered, causing Roy to lift his head and make eye contact. You turned back around to face the screen, and you secretly felt relieved that Oliver hadn't typed that up.

"How about we go for something else?" Dinah suggested. "Something that keeps to who you are as a person."

"Virginia Creeper," Roy announced, "since she just loves creeping in on other people's conversations."

"Oh my God, that was one time!" you exclaimed, throwing your hands in the air as you gritted your teeth together. "You are seriously--"

"Perhaps something that will fit in with our team aesthetic?" Dinah cut in. You sighed, shrugging as you wracked your brain for an idea.

"Weed Killer," Roy offered again. You didn't even acknowledge him, though you did roll your eyes.

"Oooh, I actually like that one," Oliver joked, though he didn't type it up.

"How about something like 'Yellow Arrow', or some other random color with the word 'arrow' after it?" you muttered, sighing. "It's simple and it's got kind of an in-your-face reveal toward who I work for." Oliver let out a hum before shaking his head, leaning back in his chair.

"As much as I would love for you to take on our team name, I don't think that it would be a good idea," he replied. "I mean, yeah, it would fit but I don't think we need another Arrow. It's just not you, (Y/N). Try something else that makes you unique." You slumped your shoulders as you let out a groan, tilting your head back so you could stare at the ceiling.