Sleepovers and Understandings

Updated: 2021.08.22 

Rain. . . 

No matter how many times the sound had lulled you to sleep in the past, tonight, it was keeping you on edge. With every crash of thunder, every flash of lightning, you couldn't help but jump and huddle down further under the covers. It wasn't that it frightened you; if anything, you loved the rain, especially at night. However, your apprehensive state wasn't caused by the raging storm outside. Instead, your mind was flooded with images of what you imagined the mission to be like. The Council of Wings never left your thoughts. 

You weren't ready for this. . . You weren't ready for any of this at all. 

You sat up in bed as a creak suddenly came from the other side of the bedroom door. It hadn't caused by the storm, so, curious, you reached over and grabbed the ACP off the nightstand before throwing off the covers. You raised the ACP and slowly crept to the door, narrowing your eyes to see into the dark room. You flinched when a flash of lighting illuminated the room, and you rolled your eyes before continuing on. 

As you approached the door, you could hear another series of creaks right outside the door. You hesitantly reached toward the closest doorknob, taking a deep breath before shoving the door open. You almost shrieked when you saw a tall, dark figure looming just on the other side of the door, and instinctively, you grabbed the figure and yanked them into your room, immediately tackling them to the floor. The figure grunted as they struggled to escape your hold, but they instantly froze when you shoved the barrel of the ACP between their shoulder blades. 

"It's me, damn it!" Another flash of lighting illuminated the room, and it was then you were able to see Roy's pained face in the dim light. 

"Oh my God," you breathed, releasing Roy and jumping to your feet. You held out a hand, which Roy hesitantly accepted as he slowly stood from the floor. 

"Don't let it go to your head, but that hurt," Roy muttered, frowning as he rolled his shoulder back. You averted your gaze to the floor, scratching at the back of your neck as you hid the ACP behind your leg. 

"I-I'm sorry," you murmured. "You scared me." 

"I scared you? I thought you were going to kill me!" 

"Yeah. . . sorry about that," you muttered, clearing your throat. "By the way, what were you doing?" 

"Well. . ." Roy trailed off, averting his gaze as he folded his arms over his chest. "I wanted to make sure. . . you were asleep." 

"Why would you do that? I mean, I was already awake; did you need something?" 

"No," Roy muttered through gritted teeth. "I wanted. . . to make sure you were. . . asleep." 

"Okay?" you replied slowly, frowning. "Well, I'm awake, so. . ." Roy internally sighed and struggled to keep himself from face-palming as he looked back up at you. 

"I was making sure you weren't having another one of your sleepless-night panic attacks, okay?" He finally hissed, shaking his head. "I didn't know if you were afraid of storms. . . or something. . . So, I was just checking up on you!" 

"O-Oh," you responded, surprised. "Well, I, uh. . . I'm not afraid of storms. . . per-se. . ." 

"What's that supposed to mean?" Roy replied flatly. You chuckled lightly, giving Roy an almost uncomfortable smile. 

"You want an honest answer?" you finally murmured, sighing when Roy gave a curt nod. "I'm absolutely terrified. Roy, I can't do this! Hell, I don't even know anything about what I'm supposed to be doing!" You knew you were lying right to his face, but you also knew Batman was trusting you to keep the information a secret; at least, if Roy already knew about the Council of Wings, he hadn't heard anything from you.