Tension and Transformation

Edited: 2022.02.11

You could feel them all staring at you, but you couldn't bring yourself to lift your head to return their gazes. You just stared at the plate in front of you, aimlessly focusing on the food that'd already gone cold a long time ago. 

"Are you not hungry?" Dinah asked softly, fiddling with her fingers under the table. "I'm sorry, I know I'm not the best cook but--" 

"It's fine. I'm sure it tastes amazing," you murmured, a weak smile tugging at your lips, though you made no effort toward the food. 

"Are you groggy? Dizzy?" Oliver questioned beside you. "Do you think the tranquilizer is still affecting you?" You shook your head. 

"I don't feel tired," you mumbled, letting out a sigh. "I just feel physically drained. And, my head hurts." 

"Well, you're body is going through a rough transition right now, sweetheart," Dinah replied, offering a tiny smile. "You'll probably feel worn out for a while. I mean, not that I would know; I'm only assuming, of course." You nodded at the awkward comment, but remained silent. 

I don't feel like talking; they're only doing it to make me feel better. I don't want to feel better just yet, you thought, the only clear thought you could actually pull from the jumbled mess in your mind. 

You finally lifted your head after another few minutes of silence, only to look away again when you locked eyes with Roy, who was sitting directly across from you. Even if it was just for a split second, you could see the obvious worry in his topaz eyes, along with utter confusion and what you perceived as confliction. There was something else, too. 

Caution. 

Though it was buried pretty well within his gaze, you had little difficulty detecting it. You remembered back when the two of you had first met and were just becoming acquainted with one another. Robin had said that Roy was afraid of Poison Ivy, and that he hated her beyond comprehension. Back then, any time Roy had spoken to you or even looked in your direction, his eyes had held that exact same look. That just left about half a million hanging questions. 

Did that mean Roy was going to hate you if you became like Poison Ivy? 

What would happen to you if the Justice League found out about your mutating metagenes? 

How were your new abilities going to effect you on missions? 

Would you even be able to control yourself if another reaction like earlier happened again? 

There were too many things to factor in, too many things to think about, and, honestly, you were so exhausted from thinking. You didn't want to think anymore. 

"I'm going back to my room," you finally muttered, breaking the tense silence that had once again swallowed the room. The other three immediately looked after you as you slowly moved from the table and began wandering out of the kitchen toward the foyer. Roy hesitated for a moment before shooting a glance at Oliver, who nodded in affirmation, and Roy rose out of his chair and went after you, following you through the house and up the stairs. 

The two of you began walking side by side down the hallway until you approached your bedroom door, but just as you reached out to grab the knob, Roy placed a hand on the door, stepping in front of you. 

"Your room's trashed," he mumbled. "Just go to mine." You frowned. 

"Yeah, I know. It's fine," you replied. "I'm just going to lie down--" 

"No offense, but your sheets are pretty nasty," Roy muttered, trying not to smile. "You can rest in my room." 

"But, I want to take a shower. I feel really gross."