[ 11 ] Je T'aime Bien

*

"Let's live together," Chanyeol says, "Move in with me."

For a moment Baekhyun hasn't responded, as if he didn't hear him saying it correctly. He has a straight blank face on, while waiting for those words to finally sink in to his brain.

Let's live together. Move in with me.

Baekhyun blinks.

"W-what did you just say?" he asks, turning to Chanyeol in utmost bewilderment, "I-I didn't get it..."

Chanyeol sighs a frustrated groan, laughing to himself a little. He doesn't know whether to get annoyed at Baekhyun or what, because he feels like he's making a fool of himself in front of him. Brushing his fringe with his hand, he composes himself and repeats it again.

"I said. We. The two of us. Let's live together."

And that makes Baekhyun's eyes widen in shock.

He can't utter a single word because in the first place, he doesn't know what to say at the current moment. It's so sudden, never in his life he had thought that Chanyeol would say that. Never in before that living with Chanyeol had crossed in his mind. Also, he doesn't know whether Chanyeol is commanding him to do it as if he had no choice, or if Chanyeol is instead proposing that idea to him right now.

There are tons of thoughts going around inside Baekhyun's head, making him unresponsive for a few seconds. Chanyeol patiently waits, until he receives no response from the other male ever since he spilled those words.

"It's getting late," Chanyeol says, driving away the thick silence as he tries to swallow his hurt ego. "Why don't you go inside already?"

Baekhyun doesn't answer. He is just looking at him with question-filled eyes. Chanyeol sighs heavily for the nth time as Baekhyun anticipates for something, anything, that Chanyeol will say.

"I'll give you time to think about it," Chanyeol finally says. "And when I say time, I mean it."

Baekhyun already knows what time means, and he doesn't know if he can make it through without Chanyeol by his side. Thinking about the idea makes him already miss Chanyeol a lot, but he admits that he also needs the time Chanyeol is giving him to properly decide.

Baekhyun clenches his fists by his side, together with the dull pain coiling in his heart. Instead of being overwhelmed with joy, he is instead left broken and confused by Chanyeol's words.

"I need to go."

Chanyeol leans in close to Baekhyun, closing the little gap between their faces. The shadow of their height difference is beautifully drawn on the ground with the help of the orange setting sun. With eyes closed, Baekhyun openly waits, and he doesn't even attempt to tip his toes up when Chanyeol bends himself down to match his height.

Baekhyun expects that Chanyeol would kiss him by the way he is this near, because he can practically feel Chanyeol's warm breath fanning across his slightly parted lips.

But the kiss didn't come.

Chanyeol didn't do it.

Chanyeol slowly leans away and puts his hands inside his pockets instead. Tearing his gaze off Baekhyun, he silently walks away and takes his leave without saying goodbye.

Baekhyun then opens his eyes and sees Chanyeol from a far. Frozen on his spot, he watches Chanyeol's tall figure blending in with the afternoon sun.

He call his name.

"Park Chanyeol!"

Chanyeol only raises his free hand in the air and waves it as a goodbye gesture.