[ 24 ] White Lies

*

With a tray in hand heading to the living room, Chanyeol puts it down the table and serves three cups of chamomile tea and pretzels as per the woman's request. Being a hospitable host isn't naturally running on Chanyeol's blood, but he has to put up some act since the woman he has to deal with and face right now is Baekhyun's mother.

And that fact still hasn't sink in enough to his brain.

Baekhyun and his mom have a lot of resemblances especially their eyes, lips, and the shape of their faces. But Chanyeol is still at awe that the woman is Baekhyun's biological mom. She looks so young compared to her age of 39, and she is also gorgeous like a supermodel, that she could even pass as Baekhyun's older sister.

Now Chanyeol knows why Baekhyun has his internal aesthetic and grace. It runs on the genes.

Chanyeol wasn't literally eavesdropping when he was in the kitchen preparing a nice tea and some shit for the visitor. Baekhyun's voice was just originally loud, so he heard them talking generally about Baekhyun's life and how his mom missed him back home. The woman also mentioned something about Baekhyun's college entrance exam and the rest all about childish endearments and endless laughters. They caught up with each other stories while Chanyeol technically not-so listened in the kitchen.

A sigh escapes out of Chanyeol's mouth as he sits down on the other side of the couch, not too close nor too far from Baekhyun, a distance which you won't suspect there is something behind close doors.

"So," the woman starts as she takes a little sip of her tea, and Chanyeol knows the real conversation is about to start with him included, "I went to the address you gave me last time, but I only found an empty apartment. What happened?"

"Oh," Baekhyun chuckles, rubbing his palms on his knees, "I uh, I moved out."

"Since when?"

"A couple of months ago."

"Why? Did Sehun and you get into a fight?" The lady in red--- Baekhyun's mom rather, glances at Chanyeol shortly. "I heard he moved back to his parents' house."

"Yes, he did, and Sehun and I are in good terms. We're not in the middle of a fight." Chanyeol only watches as Baekhyun grabs some pretzels to eat. "His parents' house is closer to the university so he decided to move back. And I uh, decided to move out as well."

"Nice place you got here by the way." Baekhyun's mom wanders her eyes around Chanyeol's mansion--- palace. "Sehun texted me the address of this place so I went here. He told me you're living here comfortably."

The fact that this woman mentions Sehun's name 90% every time she opens her mouth bothers Chanyeol a little bit, as well as the fact that it is obvious that she communicates with Sehun more often than her own son, or that's what Chanyeol thinks.

Baekhyun smiles as an answer to his mother's question. "Yes, Mom. I'm living here very well."

"I'm glad to hear that," the woman says before finally looking and recognizing Chanyeol's holy presence, "Is he your landlord?"

Chanyeol almost spits the tea out of his mouth while Baekhyun chokes on his pretzel.

"The owner of the house?" The woman raises her perfect eyebrow at Chanyeol, expecting for an answer. "Right, young man?"

"Chanyeol, just call me Chanyeol," Chanyeol says after he recovers and puts back his calm face, "Yeah, I'm the owner of this house and your son is living here with me."