[ 31 ] The Past and the Present

(A/N: If you still have trouble understanding what's happening, you can always reread the last three chapters and figure things out before proceeding to this one. Enjoy reading!)

*

There are messy tracks of moist soil on the floor coming from his muddy sneakers. He just came from soccer practice anyway, and he smells like sweat and garden-fresh grass. His white shorts and jersey uniform too, with number 61 at the back, is splattered with dried mud and dirt which he got from too much kicking and sliding on their practice lot. It's been raining these days and he always forgets to bring his raincoat to school.

With the murky soccer ball in his hand, he trudges through the great hallway which seems to stretch like forever. His sneakers make the same squeaking sound because of the mud, but he knows his mother couldn't care less because they have tons of maids to take care of it. What she'll care most likely about is if he gets on top of the class or he gets selected to play for the nationals while his father doesn't give a damn. It's a shame it's not his lucky day today though.

Well, the school is kind of racist and it sucks. It's not like he chose to be in the Asian race. His father is Korean so he knows he's like that too, unlike his Western classmates. No matter how good he is, they always pick those white kids with blond hairs and blue eyes. Unless he keeps being friendly with the teacher and his coach. They like him more than his father.

He drops his backpack on the floor when he reaches the main door. The ball rolls away silently but he ignores it, he's focusing on rummaging his bag to find his aced testpaper. He's really excited to show it to his mom. He knows she'll be proud of him just like his sister.

A goofy smile lands on his lips when he sees the 100% marked in red ink on top of the crumpled paper, and he almost barged in to the room if not for him tripping to his own feet. He thought he's gotten rid of his clumsiness when he had his 12th birthday last year.

"Is this all about it again?"

"That's because you're not focusing on your son properly."

"Now you're blaming me about our son!?"

"There is something wrong with him! He's sick! He's not normal!"

"There is nothing wrong with Chanyeol! He's completely normal!"

He reaches for the buzzing alarm clock on the nightstand and turns it off.

"Fuck..."

He's had that memory again.

The door of his bedroom opens so he curtly puts on his shirt. Hair messy, he gets up and walks to his window, setting aside the curtains. Baekhyun's just standing there outside, lips stretched into a thin smile while all dressed-up for school.

"I'm taking the bus today."

"I'm driving you there."

"No, it's fine. I mean, you're not even ready yet and my class starts at seven, so," Baekhyun says without making eye contact. "I think I have to get going..."

Chanyeol is quiet. Baekhyun says he has to go yet he's still waiting. No one dares to speak and it's terrifying. He presses his lips and takes a deep breath.

"Baekhyun."

"W-what is it?"

"Do I have to---"

Baekhyun furiously shakes his head. "No... Not until she has left."

"Please, just wait a little longer."