[ 28 ] * Incontrare

*

Baekhyun knows it, he always sees it, and Chanyeol doesn't even bother to hide in front of him. But the problem is, he wouldn't tell.

Sometimes, in the middle of them having dinner together, his phone would ring, and the same unregistered number flashes on his phone screen. Sometimes at school, and sometimes, even during sex. Baekhyun would just watch silently as Chanyeol ignores the calls which are going on for a month now. When he asks who was it, Chanyeol would say nothing. He's been all silent, and Baekhyun wouldn't ask anymore.

Chanyeol has been keeping a secret from him, and so is Baekhyun, so he decides to set things straight first on his case, because maybe, just maybe Chanyeol would do the same. There's no reason for him to keep that secret anyway. It's better to tell the truth than to lie.

"Are you sure about this?" Baekhyun can trace genuine worry on his voice, the same goes with how his eyes look at him. "We don't have to do this, Baekhyun. It's fine with me if you don't really wanna tell her."

"I already made up my mind and I'm telling her about us. I also want her blessing."

Chanyeol would be lying if Baekhyun's sincerity didn't strike a chord. Baekhyun has been gradually developing maturity as time goes by, he's seen it and realized how he grows. From a dependent boy who was once clueless about everything to a guy who is now firm with his decisions. From a boy who was scared about the littlest of things, to a guy who is brave and calm even in the dark woods. From a boy who only knew how to follow, to a guy who now knows how to lead.

Chanyeol can tell that this side of Baekhyun is actually endearing. But not that he would tell him that. There are beautiful things that should be kept hidden.

"She's here," Baekhyun whispers, and it's the cue for the both of them to stand up to greet the woman. The son pulls out the chair for his mother to sit first before going back to Chanyeol's side.

"You two can sit. No need to stand there," Mrs. Byun chuckles as she flips her hair over her shoulder. She now has brown curly hair that extends to her waist. Baekhyun thinks she has gone to the salon before coming to the coffee shop.

"So what is it that you wanna tell me?" She laces her fingers together and looks at Baekhyun with utmost interest, smiling bright and god, she is as radiant and beautiful. "Is it something important that you called me at midnight saying you wanna meet your mom?"

Chanyeol side-eyes Baekhyun. Baekhyun meets his eyes, and then back again at his mother. He chuckles dryly.

"Shouldn't we order our coffee first?"

Three sips and four stirs. Baekhyun is not really a fan of coffee and any coffee in general, his mother and Chanyeol know it. He can only drink milkshakes and its variants unless it doesn't have caffeine in it. His face scrunches when the bitter taste of his espresso lands on his taste buds. Chanyeol would have ordered him a strawberry smoothie but Baekhyun said it was uncool in front of his mother.

"So," she starts again. "How's Baekhyun doing, Mr. Landlord? Any problems so far?"

Chanyeol keeps his cool. He's reserved a ton of it before coming here because he knows he's gonna need a lot if it.

"He's doing a good job. He's studying very well and not missing his deadlines. He's also doing the chores." All of these are true, since the cleaning lady took a leave for a week and Baekhyun accepted the work temporarily. He did the laundry, the dishes, the cleaning and the cooking until the helper comes back. It wasn't that good but it wasn't that terrible either. He just applied what he has learned from Sehun. "He's also participating in school activities but he uhh... kind of sprained his ankle during the MT. But don't worry, he's fine now."