Chapter One (Introduction)

***First of all, I would like to say thank you for choosing our story. This book is finished, but I will be going through it again, and editing my mistakes. If you have any suggestions for this story, or anything else, please feel free to message me. Thanks, and happy reading!xxx

I would also like to mention that I made this story with my friend @CAZ_2004 so check out her stories also ;)***

Hi my name is Lacey. Well... that's not my real name. But that's what people would call me. If I really knew anyone. The only contact I have with the human race was going to stores, but no one was interested enough in my dirty clothes, or my ability to look like a homeless person to learn my name, or ask anything about me. I basically am a homeless person anyways. And if anyone is interested enough to know my name, it's just me, Lacey. That's the name one of the police officers gave me, to help me after what had happened. He is the only one that knows about my situation, everyone else I have to be careful for. So I guess I at least know one person but not the kind of person that a 17 year old girl should know. My old name and life were left behind when my mother was. Dead, in the house, because of him. It's a really long story.

The only money I get is from stealing. It's not like I'm okay with it, I know it's wrong. But it's the way I have learned to survive. Money has always been a problem in our house. My father has always been spending money on the wrong things. And that's how my story starts.

<<<>>>

My family had always been normal. Until I was around 6, when my dad started doing drugs and my mom found cancer in her lungs. My dad got crazy when he found out about her. I guess he meant it in the best way, because he was worried about her. But he couldn't get his act together and stop spending money on drugs long enough to pay for her treatment. At some point he stopped worrying and started getting angry instead. He took it out on my already sick mom and I, making our perfect life fall apart.

He had always had this secret business you could say, to get whatever kind of drugs he was on. When he found out that my mother had only a few weeks to live, he called up one of the members, Steve, to come and meet at our house. That was a stupid mistake. He asked Steve to give him his money back, and shoved the plastic bag of his newest order at the man's chest thinking that it might be enough to make up for how he had been to us and give it to my mother to help her. Little had he known that he was the sick one.

"Sorry man that's against the rules." Steve had said, looking towards the door, thinking of an escape plan.

"GIVE THE MONEY BACK!" I had heard my father shout.

"Sorry man I should... I should leave." Steve had started turning around.

"Please... just... please help me. My wife is dying." he grabbed the man's arm, in what I hope he meant sympathetically.

But Steve didn't take it that way. All while I was hiding behind a shelf in the room crying silently to myself, they were fighting like dogs. My mother was asleep and too weak to notice.

The glass coffee table broke as Steve slammed my dad onto it. Then my dad came back up, throwing Steve into the tv, making it fall and miss me by only an inch.

Finally after what felt like forever, the police arrived. They broke up and took away the two men, one of which was my father. For some reason I didn't even try to stop them. I felt like somehow even if he had been my dad, he had brought this on himself and deserved it. So I did nothing. But I can't help but think that if I did do something, my life wouldn't be the way it is.

After they dragged them out of the house into a blinking red and blue police car, I walked out into the living room from behind the shelf. Everything went through my head again and I felt one thing was sure. I was never going to see my dad again. I went upstairs to check on my mom because I couldn't think of what to do now that I was panicking.

"Mom..." There was no answer. My mom was usually a light sleeper. That worried me.

"Mo... oh, oh my god" I realized it then. She was dead. Gone. Her face was pale and it looked like she had finally given up with fighting to stay alive like she finally realized she didn't have me and dad to live for anymore, so she just let go. And that was the first time I realized that I was really alone. That was the scariest thing that I had ever been through and I didn't know what to do. So I just went back down behind the shelf and cried until I fell asleep.

But I woke up to the sound of police slamming open my doors and searching the house. They were probably here to look for my dad's drugs. Instead they found my dead mother, and last but not least, a little shaking girl hiding behind a shelf. That girl was me. I begged and begged that the police officer that found me would not take me. I could tell that he was new by his badge. He was hesitant about breaking the rules. I read on his badge that his name was Steve. What a scary coincidence. He told me that I was in trouble because they were not only looking for his drugs, but my father again. He had escaped in that short time, and they had yet to find him. They thought he went back to the house, but no. He was searching for me, he didn't realize that I was still in the house myself. I have been hiding out for 6 years and 11 months now. I will be turning 18 and will be able to finally come out from hiding in a month. I just could never face going to a foster home, or the state home. I was better on my own like I guess I had always been.

I had to get a new name. It was changed from little harmless Emily Davis, to Lacey Johnson by the police officer who found me and helped me. He was the only one who would listen to me. He told me that my name was now Lacey Johnson and he would take care of the rest. That was good enough for me. I was a new person. And to people who passed me by, hopefully they wouldn't have a hint about my background. Maybe I would not be so invisible now that I had a chance to a new life.

But I knew that I had to go into hiding to be able to keep myself far away from the police...and my father.

***please make sure to comment, and vote on this chapter! Thanks!***