Chapter Fourteen

xxx you guys this book is getting so intense!!! enjoy!! xxx

Before I closed the door, I saw Steve and his crew running over towards my house. I locked the door and turned to face my dad.

"I let you, but not to help you. I'm warning you to stay away from me and the people I love. You betrayed me long ago and you hurt the people I care about! If you don't leave, I will turn you in and I won't regret a single thing, do you hear me?"

"But, pumpkin, I'm your father. Think about it. You could come back into my life. We could be a family again. This is what your mother would want. You can't let her down."

"You better stop talking about my mother if you know what's best for you. You knew nothing about her. Dealing with the circumstances," I shot him an ugly glare, "she would want me to be as far away from you as possible. And that's what I am going to do." Just then I opened the door and pushed him out and locked myself behind. I could see that Steve had just reached the house and he grabbed John. I watched through the window by my door, and watching it broke my heart. I felt cold and heartless, but I couldn't take risks. What if he wanted me as his daughter again just to hurt me or even possibly kill me? He was psycho enough, it didn't seem like a stretch. 

Nothing seemed real anymore, and there were too many what ifs, you couldn't even count. I wasn't sure of anything anymore. Tears threatened to spill, but they didn't.

Just then Steve opened the door, while two other guys dragged John away.

"Hey you okay?" I heard Steve ask over the sound of a siren taking my father away. I broke out into tears and hugged him tightly. He hugged me back and we just stood there, soaking in all that had happened. Emotion seemed to swirl through my mind, scared, sad, lonely, angry, and frustrated. This was the first time I had actually cried in a while. I liked to believe I was tough.

<<<>>>

I woke up and got dressed, smelling bacon and eggs. I had decided to sleep at Steve's house since all that had happened last night. I got up and went to the bathroom to check if I looked decent before going to sit at the table with Steve. He had told me earlier that December was at a girls weekend trip, and wouldn't be back for another day.

"Hey so I have been meaning to talk to you. The court has already decided, and they are going to let John go. They don't think that there is enough to make him stay in prison, even though what he did was terrible."

I started to protest but he put up his hand, meaning to let him finish.

"I am working on it, and he will get what he deserves. But there is something else... We need to move. Somewhere he doesn't know about, and hopefully somewhere he never finds. I haven't told Dee yet, but I know that she will feel the same way. Also, in the new house, there isn't another house like the one you're living in on our property, but you get your own room, and bathroom. I hope you're okay with that. I would just like us to get closer." He smiled at me and gave me a hug.

"Thanks Steve. You didn't have to do that for me. Will I be safe now?"

"Well yes, for now. The thing is though Lacey... I think we have to change your identity again. I know that you have been through enough kiddo, but I need to do everything I can to keep you safe. You can pick any name you would like. Oh and you will also need to maybe dye your hair a different color or something dramatic, because this time we can't wait till you get older," he winked at me. I know that I should feel grateful, but it was hard enough changing my name the first time. And this time I had to dye my hair?! I didn't want to change again, but I didn't want to argue with Steve, so I agreed, we hugged again, and I walked back to my house with a supply of boxes under my arm and decided to start packing. It was pretty easy because it was a small house, and living the way I did meant I didn't have much clothes, because what to wear was at the bottom on my list of problems.

After about an hour, I was quite productive. I had all of my things in boxes, and the house looked like nobody ever lived in it. I glanced around, but my eyes got caught on the garbage can. In there were napkins and wrappers. All the things from the picnic I had with Leo. I quickly walked over and took the garbage bag out. I tied a knot in it to stay shut, and then I looked around my room one last time.

I felt bad for Steve, because he had always done so much for me to feel safe, and like a normal kid. And I don't even think I showed much gratitude in return! I erased the thought, and tried to pile as many boxes in my hands as possible. While my father was in jail getting further questioned, I was packing fast to make sure I could move in time to be gone when he gets let out. 

I set them outside my front door and walked towards Steve's house. From the glass patio door I could see that he was also packing. Earlier, Steve told me that he was able to buy a house quick. It seemed like it was a miracle, but I thanked God quick and went back to packing.

<<<>>>

After what felt like forever we had almost completely packed the kitchen and living room. Steve had retired to his room for some light packing and a nap, and I sat on the couch that was ready for pick up, looking around at the now empty walls. I couldn't help but feel guilty. It was all my fault that they were moving. If I hadn't come into their lives, they wouldn't be in this situation right now.

"Okay kiddo, looks like we can move some boxes to the new house if you would like, you could be able to look around a little?"

"We are doing this so fast," I said avoiding his question, "don't you want to wait until December gets home."

"You know that we have no time to waste before John is out and looking for you again. Dee won't mind, as long as you are safe."

"That's the thing, she doesn't want me safe."

"What are you talking about Lace?"

"She..." I couldn't do this to him. I couldn't tell him. But I couldn't let him be clueless either. He had to know what was going on, "she's helping John." It had slipped right out of my mouth. I knew that I had just unleashed a monster, but I could not let him be clueless anymore. He deserved someone better.

*** make sure to comment suggestions and vote on our story. Might be doing a shout out! thanks***