Chapter Twenty One

"Um, excuse me?" I asked while stepping into some authority room that someone directed me to go if I had any issues. I had taken my time to come here instead of going to the cafeteria with the others. I didn't even know where I was going to sit. Apparently things were pretty strict

"What." said the lady, not paying attention to me at all.

"I was wondering, how long will I be staying here? And can my father bail me out?"

"That's not really up to me." The lady replied flatly.

Wow! Such a help! (Note the sarcasm)

"Then who is it up too?!" I practically yelled. She finally looked up at me

"Whoever wants to bail you out will, it's just a matter of time," After her moment of wisdom, she went back to typing on her computer.

"Wow, so inspirational! That really got me right here," I said tapping my chest where my heart was. I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms over my chest, waiting for her to put time and effort into talking to me.

"If you would like to talk to someone, you have to write their number on this sheet of paper." she didn't look up, handing me a little slip of paper and a pencil. She seemed to have this routine down already.

I picked up the pencil. It had been awhile since I had written anything. I quickly wrote down- 605-475-6968 and looked up at the lady. She had a nametag that said Sally.

"Here you go Sally." I smiled at her, trying to get on her good side.

"Get out of here." she laughed quickly and meaningless, pointing for me to walk out of the room.

<<<>>>

Once in the cafeteria, I got in line. I was hoping that it would take a long time, because I had no idea where I was going to sit. But it was just my luck that the line went quick, and I ended up standing there debating where to go.

I decided to sit at the end of a table that was mostly empty, except for two girls at the end, deep in conversation. I was looking around hoping no one noticed what a loner I was. I didn't care anymore though. If I was a loner so be it. I didn't even know what having real friends felt like because I didn't even know that many people.

"Hey GG." I looked to the left and noticed that Mack had sat right next to me, opening a bottle of water and looking at me.

"GG?" I asked, not knowing what she was talking about.

"Goody-goody," she said without any hesitation, "that's you right? You ain't been here before, and I bet you tryna get on the good side of them officers. News flash they don't care." She grinned at me.

"I'm not doing that. I'm just nice. Unlike some people." I glared at her and she surprised me by laughing.

"You know, I'm sorry for jumping you at the gas station, I just like the thrill of it. I needa get my money somehow," She kept her intimidating stare on me as she took a sip of her water.

"Why don't you just get a job?" I suggested, avoiding her apology and her stare,

"I like a challenge. So what's your story?"

"It's complicated, and long" Memories flashed before my eyes and I rubbed my temple, trying to keep myself from remembering.

"I got time." she said situating in her seat as if getting comfortable for a story.

"Fine," I said hesitating, "where do I even start? Well, my father was involved with drugs. He ruined everything. So long story short I was homeless for a little while until my uncle took me in," I left out the little part about getting kidnapped and stealing a car to keep me from getting into further trouble.

"You got daddy issues," Mack muttered and looked down. She suddenly got quiet. Maybe she could relate?

I just nodded.

"That about sums it up," I said quietly. Our conversation came to a halt.

"I know how it is. My daddy had gambling problems. That's why I'm on my own. My dad said he would get us money to pay back for it, but he never did. That's why my mom left us and then soon after I ran away." I nodded and things were silent for awhile.

"I saw you. By the offices. At least you got somebody that you can call. I gots no one." she looked down at her lap and stopped talking.

"You have me." I nudged her playingly and smiled.

She smiled back seemed to have cheered up a little.

"Hey, so what do you think of Viv?" she commented, obviously avoiding the last subject.

"She seems," I looked over at her, having a loud argument with another girl, "rough..."

"I agree. She beat me up once. Right in the eye."

"Seriously?" I was surprised by how easily she said that.

"Yeah." she laughed harmlessly, "it ain't a big deal."

"How could you say that? You can't let people walk all other you."

"It's okay. Better that than getting beat up all the time."

<<<>>>

It was the next day at lunch.

"So there's something I should tell you," I said as Mack and I sat down together at the spot from yesterday, "it's not my uncle that took me in. It was a cop."

"Dang girl."

"It's not that bad actually. He is really nice and he has been helping me out since I was little."

"That's cool but I have something else to ask..."

"Ms. Johnson?"

"Yes?" Sally had walked up behind me from the office.

"You have a call from that number."

"That was fast," I commented. I thought these things took more time. But I wasn't going to complain now.

I followed Sally through a room next to her office where a phone was sitting face down on a desk.

"You have 5 minutes." she said, then followed by shutting the door.

I put the receiver to my ear and waited for a second, "Grady?"

***oooh these next couple of chapters are going to get good! Hang in there- chapters will be coming out soon!***