Chapter Three

***Hey guys! This book is moving along so fast, and I have great ideas for what will be coming up. If you have any suggestions, please feel free to message me, or comment your ideas***

The next morning when I woke up, I could already tell I forgot to take a shower. Only today was when I noticed how I smelled different than my beautiful surroundings. I grabbed some clothes that I found Steve had put in the dresser by my soft, comfortable bed (way different from that uncomfortable potato sack) and I ran into the bathroom to take a shower. There were all these labels on these bottles that I recognized before my life went haywire.

Shampoo, and conditioner?

When I stepped in the shower the warm water made me want to melt. My sore aching muscles that were tight from all the years of stress and trying to find a comfortable spot on my potato sack, washed away along with the dirt. I rubbed shampoo in my hair and the water suddenly turned dark brown with all the 7 years of dirt build-up. I couldn't believe that I hadn't had dreadlocks by now. If this is how normal girls lived on a regular basis I wanted a part of it. The knots in my hair were slowly coming out, and so was the dirt. I sighed, imagining me living like this forever. Most teenage girls my age usually would complain about a broken nail. But all I could complain about was not having a family- and living on my own... until now. But I still had trouble with everything. Did normal 18-year-olds have to go in hiding for most of their life? And then have an abusive drug dealer dad for another part of it?

After finishing up with conditioning my hair and soaping my body, I jumped out of the shower and grabbed a towel plopping back on my bed and taking out my new phone.

Ding

I had never touched a phone in my life and this felt so weird but grown up for me.

I tapped the green icon that had a large red 1 on it and tapped on the caller that texted me.

213-2679932

Emily?

Me

I'm sorry you must have the wrong number

213-2679932

This is Emily Davis, right?

Just then a flood of concern went through my body. I hadn't heard that name in 7 years. Who could it be?

Me

I'm sorry sir you have the wrong number! Now please stop texting me!

I threw my phone on the other side of the bed. Somebody knew about me...

<<<>>>

I hadn't checked my phone all day. It could have been Steve who texted me, but he would have called me Lacey unless he slipped up. But he wouldn't have slipped up using my old name twice. Nobody knew my old name. I didn't have any friends when I was younger. I was a loner. The only people who knew Emily Davis was Steve, and my mom and father. Obviously, it couldn't have been my mom because she was dead. So I decided to head up to Steve's and ask him about it.

"Hey Mrs. Smith, is Steve here?"

"Oh..um..there was an emergency at work. Someone named John I think..."

I felt shock run through the veins in my body, from my head to my feet. Everything felt tingly. I hadn't heard that name in a long time... John... John Davis... My father.

"Are you... okay dear?" she looked concerned but continued at the kitchen counter looking at her work.

"Um, did he mention any last name?" I asked, praying that I wasn't right.

"Not that I remember. It wasn't Johnson though if you're worried. Are you sure you're okay?" she obviously didn't know that Johnson wasn't his last name- she doesn't know about my old name. Steve thought that it would be safer this way.

"Yeah... I... I think so" and I ran back to my house.

I stammered in and slid my back down the door, kneeling with my hands up to my face, trying to convince myself there was a lot of John's in the world. I felt tears run down my face. Steve and I had promised to keep our little deal between us and his wife obviously didn't know about my old name. I decided to be strong, and go and get my phone as I looked around for something warm to put over my shoulders. There were 2 text messages from the unknown number and a missed call. I quickly slipped on a sweater and ran outside towards the street. The police station was only 2 miles away and I needed some fresh air... and to clear up what was going on with Steve.

***sorry that these chapters are short, but there will be a lot more soon***