Chapter Seven

"What do you mean?"

"He texted us at like 2 in the morning. We were a little suspicious at first but we thought he would be alright." he shrugged like it didn't mean anything and took a sip of coffee out of a stained white mug.

"Well he is not alright," I couldn't help it, it started crying.

"Let me take you home."

"No... I can." from behind the group of guys came a younger looking boy. He was tall and skinny. His eyes were the color of the bottom of a green lake, and his dark face was hidden under his gorgeous hair.

"Are you sure?" asked the stained mug guy.

"Yeah." he flipped his hair and walked towards me.

We walked out the door and he went towards the nearest car, a dodge challenger (a highly expensive sports car). Of course, he had to be this perfect.

"I'm Grady by the way. And you are...?"

"Umm... Emily." I hadn't said that name in a long time and I don't know what made me do it. I just didn't want to get too close to him, and I didn't want steve hearing about him meeting a "Lacey".

"Cute." he said that like it was the most casual thing and reversed the car out of the parking lot.

During the drive, we mostly just listened to music with separate thoughts in our heads.

"Um, you can get in okay?" he asked and turned towards me when he had reached our driveway with my help of directions.

"Yeah I... I have a key." I stupidly held it out in front of him and got out. "Thanks"

"Don't mention it." he smiled and drove off.

I walked up the pathway making sure not to step on any of the many delicate flowers perfectly placed and walked up the front steps. I slowly opened the door and slid the key out making sure not to make too much noise. I heard a hushed angry tone in the other room and decided to listen in, even though it seemed like a completely private conversation. After what I've been through, eavesdropping didn't seem completely terrible.

"Well John, you could have done better than that, there was barely any harm. Your lucky that you didn't get caught this time. I will meet with you tonight. Yes. Yes. Okay great....."

I walked away, even while my knees were buckling at what I had just heard. Harm... John... what was this about? I had to know more but at that very second, she walked out of the room with the phone between her shoulder and her ear.

"Um I am going to have to call you back..." then immediately her face changed into her soft self that I had known... "sweetie! What are you doing back here so early? Is Steve at the hospital?"

"Wait... how would you know that he's at the hospital?"

"Oh..." she stalled for a minute. Almost like she was trying to find an excuse. "I got a phone call."

"Oh was that who you were on the phone with just now?"

"Yes... yes, that's right." I smiled slightly without her noticing. I had a feeling that she knew something and I was about to find out.

"Well.." I was trying to fill in the awkward silence. "I think I am going to go back to my house."

"Okay..."

"By the way.... What is your first name?" I asked.

"Oh it's December." she smiled.

"Oh, that's cool. I have, or I had, an aunt named December." She cleared her throat and smiled again.

"Why don't you go to your room? I have some work stuff to take care of."

And with that she exited the room and left me standing there alone.

***what is the secret that Mrs. Smith is hiding? does she know something? find out on the next chapters***