Chapter Five

Hey pumpkin, it's your father. I know that I messed up. But I have come back for you now. You have got to understand that I just want it to be like the old days when we were together. Please meet me at the corner of 4th and 23rd street in the alley. Don't tell the police... I'm kind of in a situation with them right now. I'm your father, I would never hurt you, baby. See you then.

"Oh my god Lacey," he took the phone from his ear and sat down at his desk and took out his phone. "I have to report this right away..."

"No."

"What?"

"I have a better idea. Get just a few of your good guys that would not tell and meet there tomorrow. Then you can arrest him on your own and get the credit."

"Good thinking but what if we don't catch him in time... or if he's prepared for that?"

"Trust me, he's pretty dumb..."

" are you sure you're okay with turning him in?" he had ignored my last comment, which was really true.

I took a deep breath. I had thought about this hard.

"After what he has done to our family, he's not my father anymore. He's worthless to me," I spat.

<<<>>>

The next morning I woke up and took a deep breath. For some reason, I felt like things would change big after today. The thing was, I couldn't figure out if it was a good or a bad feeling.

I walked over to Steve's house to see if he was ready. I didn't know what they were going to do with my dad after they caught him, and honestly, I really didn't care.

"Hey Lacey," steve greeted my with a nod as he walked towards the kitchen island.

"Good morning"

"Please, sit down" gestured to the table as he grabbed himself a cup of coffee.

I sat down and turned my phone on, scrolling through Instagram which I had recently downloaded. It was like a whole new world being able to do things like downloading apps.

"So... are you ready?" he asked me like we were on a mission to track down some dangerous villain, but still looking sympathetic.

"I guess." really on the inside, I was more than ready. He had ruined my life and I was going to pay him back. But I didn't want to make that too obvious to steve.

"What are you too ready for?" Mrs. Smith turned around the corner and had obviously been eavesdropping.

"Oh, I am just showing her what the office is like today. She is coming with me." He looked at his wife and smiled.

I looked down at my phone, as to not have to look at Mrs. Smith.

"Oh shoot, I was going to go out to lunch with Lacey. Maybe buy some new outfits." she shrugged. "Oh that reminds me, Lacey, there is this lady that is in my book group that has a son your age. She wants him to meet you."

"Do I have to?" I laughed but honestly, I was being truthful.

"Yes," she chuckled obviously thinking that I was faking, "he's very handsome. You will like him." she gave me a wink and turned around. Steve and I rolled our eyes and silently laughed.

"Well, we will see you later sweetie." he kissed her goodbye and grabbed his phone, attaching it to his heavy duty belt that was also holding a gun.

"Shall we..." he put his hand on my shoulder and guided me through the side door into his blue pickup truck.

"You... you don't mind lying to her?" I asked.

"Sometimes," he shifted in his seat and turned to me before backing out, "it's better if she doesn't know. She worries so much about me, and I don't want her to worry about what we are dealing with."

"If you say so." I clicked my seatbelt and looked out the window as he backed out, Mrs. Smith waving out the window and taking a sip of her coffee before walking out of sight to the kitchen.

"So if you don't mind," he said as he had one hand on his chin, one hand on the wheel, "I think that you should wait in the car."

"Oh. Okay." I didn't really care either way.

We pulled up to 4th and 23rd and stopped near one of the spots in the alley.

Steve sighed and opened the door.

"Stay here and no matter what stay in the car. I don't know what he is capable of."

I waited for a few minutes watching steve stand there. Where were all the other guys that were going to come help him?

What happened next was quick but at the same time it felt like it was in slow motion, watching a dark guy grab steve from the back, watching another man who had a dirty face and long soot-stained hair kick him to the ground, and steve screaming in pain. And then, I saw my father.

***aww guys it's starting to get intense. read more to find out the rest xxx ***