Chapter Thirteen

xxx we have 160 reads! also more than 30 people voted for our story! thanks so much!!! xxx

"Okay." I could tell that he wasn't thinking about what had happened anymore and he opened the box. I was surprised with what he had done. There were fancy sandwiches, all different types, and grape sodas. Even though it wasn't that fancy, I couldn't believe that leo had done this.

"Wow this is... amazing." I said.

"Aw, it's nothing. I just thought I would do something special for you. Even though your aunt and my mom set us up, I feel like we would find each other even if we weren't set up."

"Yeah, I guess so." I was starting to open up to him and feel that last night had been one little mess up.

After dinner, we were searching for movies to watch.

"Any ideas?" he said after what felt like hours of searching.

"Well... I do have one... but I'm sure you would hate it."

"What is it?"

"The Titanic." I blushed and he laughed, as if expecting this.

"Ugh I knew that it was going to be one of those movies that girls like.... Fine." he laughed again and I quit giving him the puppy eyes.

During the movie, he put his arm around my shoulder, and for a little bit, I felt safe in his arms. Like there would always be someone to protect me. I knew I couldn't be dealing with boys now. Especially with what's going on. Definitely not 2 boys. Grady, or Leo? They both had kind personalities, even though I hated Leo at first.

I knew I couldn't do this. Not to Leo. Or Grady. It would be best if they both stayed out of my life, I couldn't get close to him. Because whoever I got close to, always ended up getting hurt.

I glanced at Leo's arm around me. It pained me to do it. He looked so content. And he was actually watching the movie! I gently pushed Leo's arm off from around me, and got up.

He looked up at me with confusion.

"You okay?" He raised an eyebrow and rubbed his arm like it hurt.

"Yes-- no... no I'm not," I looked at the ground, not making eye contact.

"I need you to leave," I finally looked at him and he looked hurt. I knew this was a set up date, but it was going well. And just like every other thing in my life, I ruined it.

"Why?" He stood up so he could look me in the eyes. He was at least a head taller than me so I had to look up.

"My life is messed up right now... I wouldn't want you getting caught in it," I shook my head, again not meeting his eyes.

"It can't be that bad. What could be so bad that I couldn't deal with but you can," He laughed. It sounded tight and fake. I wanted to scream. Of course he didn't understand! Nobody did.

"It's pretty bad," Then it was my turn to laugh. A short, bitter laugh. "You wouldn't understand. I just need you to leave," I opened the door and waited. For a while he just looked at me until he realized I was serious. He looked so sad. I always hated my dad, but I never realized that maybe, I was just like him.

"Honey, I need to find you. You have to know I will do no damage. I won't hurt you. I just want you to be able to trust me, and it will be just me and you now. That's all I've wanted this whole time. What do you say? Meet me again? This time, don't send a police officer in your place. You saw what happened to the last one."

I shut off my phone and forcefully threw it on my bed. I was more than stressed now.

"UGHHHHH!" I yelled, wanting to rip my hair out. How many more times will my father try to reach me before he gets the idea, I don't want it to be like the old days. No matter how hard we both try, it could never happen. Maybe a shred of my heart loved him, and felt bad that he had to be this way, and that just everything had to be this way. But he ruined my one chance to be normal. He ruined my life.

After trudging around my room for a couple minutes, contemplating what to do, I finally put on a coat, and opened the door to walk to Steve's house. I knew that Steve was having a few police officer friends over, but I just needed to get some fresh air and get out of there.

I opened the door from my house, and before I could walk over to Steve's house, my mind went blank. John, my father, was standing right in front of the door, looking uncomfortable and out of place.

"Oh... hey pumpkin. I knew we would find each other," A giant creepy grin took over his face. He looked like a whole new person, and not in a good way.

"Oh my god. Get away from me. I never want to see you again." I tried to slam the door back behind me, to keep me safe in my house away from him, but he held the door with a strong grip.

I needed someone's help. I looked up at Steve sitting by the window at his house with his friends, and somehow he met my gaze. He smiled but then noticed who was standing next to me and shot up. John looked at where I was looking and started panicking.

"Pumpkin, sweetie," he looked at me like he did when telling me bedtime stories. I knew that this love was fake. Otherwise he wouldn't have ruined my life. I couldn't let him get to me, "you have to hide me. You just have to. Please, don't let them get me. I have it bad enough with my daughter not loving me the way I love her. Please."

What happened next made me feel so ashamed, I am sad to admit it.

I let him in.

***awww what's gonna happen next? read the next chapter, and make sure to comment suggestions and add our book to our list to see the next chapters <3 ***