Chapter Eleven

I woke and shot straight out of bed not knowing where I was. As my eyes adjusted I realized that I was in my room, with my clothes on from the night before. It took me a little bit to remember, but I did. I fell asleep in Grady's car, and somehow he must have gotten me to my house.

I got out of bed and walked towards the shower, my eyes still half closed. I turned on the steaming water and undressed, getting in right away.

Afterward, I got dressed and headed towards Steve's house.

"Hey steve," He was at the kitchen table reading a newspaper. Who read the newspaper nowadays? "I'm kind of running out of food at my house. Do you think you could take me shopping?"

"Sure thing kiddo," all of the sudden his phone ringed and he looked concerned at his phone.

"What is it?" just then Mrs. Smith came in.

"Oh hey Dee. It's nothing Lacey... it's just... come with me a minute." he took me outside and wiped his forehead from sweat.

"Okay I didn't want Dee hearing anything, but your father has been spotted with a girl... or a woman I guess. Listen, do you know anyone who might possibly be helping him? Any family members that are still around?"

I couldn't think straight. Could I tell him what I knew about Mrs. Smith? There were so many pros and cons with this decision, "um, I do have an aunt named December, but she always disapproved of my father. But there is someone..."

"Hey, guys whatcha talking about?" Mrs. Smith had walked out with a bag of garbage, glaring at me as if daring me to finish the sentence which she had so clearly been listening to from the window.

"Oh, we were just talking about how last night went with that boy..."

"Leo." she finished.

"And I was telling him what a waste it was because he was a total jerk."

"Oh well, Leo said differently to his mom. She said that he said he had a lot of fun, so we set up another date. Tonight." she looked at me again with a look that had me petrified and smiled to her husband. How could Steve not see what was happening? He was a cop after all!

"Umm, I have to go shopping for food so I don't think that will work." I was trying to come up with any excuse I could. I could not be with him again.

"Oh no worries, I can go shopping with you right now," she said. This was not going to be good.

"Perfect. Maybe you guys could also get something for Lacey's date." he was so innocent, and he had no idea what was going to go down if we were alone.

"Perfect..." I said and smiled at him.

"Okay. Let me go grab my keys and we can be off."

I waited as Steve went inside to kiss his wife goodbye and grab his stuff for work. December came back out and started the car that was parked a few feet away from me.

"Come on. We have to get going."

<<<>>>

In the car, we stayed silent. I was looking out my window, and she was looking out hers.

At the grocery store, I quickly grabbed some dill pickle chips, bagels, cream cheese, and peace tea. I had a habit of eating junk food.

After I checked my stuff out using some of the extra cash Steve had given me I waited in the car for December to come out. I saw her coming out and my stomach turned. How could she be teaming up with John?

"You know," I said as she got in the seat next to me, "I don't have to look for something to wear for my.... Date... like Steve said."

"Oh don't worry, I wasn't going to spoil you that much." she said sourly to me.

"Oh..."

"Let's go home."

"Yeah..."

"So..." she said once we had gotten on the road, "tell me about this aunt of yours, December."

"Why would you want to know?"

"Just answer the question." she said annoyed.

"Well, she wasn't around that much. She was an alcoholic. Was always drunk when I was around."

"Not true." she said under her breath, but I could hear her.

"How would you know?"

"Your dad.."

"He is not my father! He will never be my father."

"John had just mentioned her."

"Funny you say that. He never liked her, and she never liked him."

"Hmm." and with that the rest of the drive was silent.

<<<>>>

Once we had gotten home, I half walked half ran to my house to get away from December with my groceries.

I closed the door behind me. Why would she want to know so much about my aunt December? There was no time to think about this now. I had to get ready for my date.

I grabbed the most non-flattering shirt and jeans that I had. I decided on black jeans and an old red shirt.

I seemed like time had gone and it was already time to go up to the house to meet Leo for our next awful adventure. But all of the sudden a knock came from my door. I opened it confused because I thought Steve and I had agreed that we would meet at their house.

I opened it and Leo stepped right in front of me and walked right through my door. What a jerk.

"Hey."

"Hey, leo you know there's a thing called asking before you come in."

"Yeah sorry about that but I wanted to talk. I'm sorry about last night. Seriously. I guess I just wanted to impress you. My last girlfriend thought I was too soft, and she liked to party more. I thought you would have fun but I thought wrong. That's why tonight I packed us a picnic of food to eat in here and watch a movie... if you want that is."

I could not believe what I just heard. Him. Leo. Apologizing. I hadn't know Leo that long but I could tell that he didn't apologize often, and he looked uncomfortable doing it.

"Oh... well... thanks. That means a lot."

He smiled his utterly adorable smile and came closer, "why don't you grab the food? I have it sitting out by your door. I kind of wanted it to be a surprise."

"Okay. I'll grab it." I opened the door and grabbed the picnic box lying next to the door like he said. I quickly glanced up and what I saw next sent a shiver down my spine. December, Mrs. Smith, yelling at none other than John, my father. I let out a little squeal of shock and apart from the distance, they both looked at me. This was the first time since the day I was still called Emily that he had looked right at me. The day my life changed forever. And here again, I was looking into that face. That face that killed my mother. That face that beat up Steve, and took everything from me.

"I'll be right back." I heard him say and he turned towards me and started walking. Before I decided to shut the door I saw Mrs. Smith look nervously at me and say John's name, to try to make him come back to her. Why would she do that? Was she trying to help me, or him?

I quickly shut the door not wanting to see what would play out next. I could hear him yelling at December once again and her telling him that that wasn't me, it was someone in police training. It was a stupid excuse... my father may be clever but he was not smart. He seemed to have listened to her. Everything was calm again, and I felt the worries lift off my shoulder.

"Are... are you okay?" Leo looked at me and then tried to look out the window. I couldn't let him see my so called father if he was still there, so I pushed his shoulder so that he was looking at me.

"Let's set up," I said avoiding the question trying to think of an excuse to make us busy.

***I tried to make this chapter longer, and trust me it is going to get twisted and very dramatic!!! please make sure to comment suggestions, and hit the star to vote for our story! thanks***