Chapter Nine

It was a week later and not much had changed. Except for the secret awkwardness that Steve, who had recovered from the hospital, knew nothing about. Even though I wanted Steve to know the truth about Mrs. Smith, I could not imagine how much I would ruin their relationship. It was a big thing that was messing up my thoughts, and I didn't know right from wrong anymore.

"So honey, I was thinking that we could go out for a dinner just you and me tonight." he kissed her on the top of the head and put his big hand around her waist, "that is if you are okay with it Lacey."

"Oh, yeah, of course." My stomach did flip flops at the thought of them being alone. She seemed like she cared about him, but not enough. What if she did something to him?!

"Oh sweetie! Do you remember that guy that I said wanted to meet you?!" she acted so different, calling me "sweetie" and "honey" around Steve.

"Um, I guess." I couldn't care less at a time like this. He kind of just slipped out of my mind just like my sanity was doing by the minute.

"Why don't you and him go out tonight? I will text his mother right n..."

"NO!" I managed to say right as I heard the sound of the text being sent. Stress was a big thing I could not deal with right now! Just because we might be hanging out, doesn't mean I would have to talk. She might want us to get closer, but I would stop all those thoughts of us becoming besties. Who knows, maybe he was also a part of her plan.

"Oops!" she laughed like it was nothing, "well, you might as well get to meet him at least." she shot me a daring look and smiled at her husband.

"I have to run some errands so I will be back in time for dinner." I scoffed/snorted so loud that I actually ended up choking on my spit and after a few minutes of me coughing so hard I thought I would die, I finally managed to get a hold of myself. They both looked at me. Steve was confused but her and I could feel the tension in the room. Errands... yeah right.

"I am just going to go back to my room now." I quickly jumped out of my bench at the kitchen counter and started heading towards the door but Steve caught up with me and embraced me in a hug.

"I am glad that we are both safe. I will never let anyone hurt you." he pulled back and put his hands on my shoulder, warmingly looking into my eyes, like a father.

"I am going to work, see you tonight babe." he said to Mrs. Smith as he kissed her on the cheek and I quickly snuck away so I wouldn't have to be alone with that witch.

I walked across the grass and took a deep breath. Apart from all the stress going on it was a nice summer day, and all around I could hear kids yelling to each other to come play and the birds chirping to one another. If today wasn't another day where I had to watch my back and fear getting hurt, then I would actually maybe run around, and lay in the sun. At moments like these is when I envied normal people.

I walked to my front door. God I wish I had a key at times like these, to keep me totally private from the scary outside world. I wish I had a key that would open a secret world, that was safe. You never really noticed how bad our world is until you actually were the person being targeted. Some people complain about scraping a knee (which I know really hurts) but if they lived in my shoes they wouldn't last a day. Which I know sounds very rude of me to say, But I only speak the truth. Even I would hate it if I didn't learn to grow up always sleeping with one eye open, and always looking over my shoulder.

After I opened the door, I locked it behind me. I walked to the table and threw my phone on it before dragging my feet to my room and plopping on the bed closing my eyes. The rest of the day I took a shower, read a book, played on my phone, and just sat around. If only I had someone, just someone who would listen to me, understand what was happening, believe me, and hang with me, like all other girls and their best friends. I wanted to be scared about talking to my crush, not fighting to keep safe from my addict father.

<<<>>>

"Lacey, the boy is here!" yelled Steve from across the door of my little house, "his name is Leo. Hurry up!"

Oh no. I couldn't believe that I was actually going through with this.

I walked out and quickly finger combed my messy hair and walked out in a red sweatshirt and jeans.

"You look nice." Steve was dressed in a tux and his hair was pushed back with gel.

"Thanks," he said as he pulled at his collar and opened the back door for me. "Let's just hope Dee thinks so." I was confused at first but then I realized that dee must be something he calls December, Mrs. Smith.

When I turned to look at who was at the front door, I immediately felt self conscious. He was actually really cute. He had blue eyes, and brown hair that came right above his eyebrow. It was kind of long and messy, but it fitted him. He had a cute little smirk that told you he knew he was cute and you could almost see his abs through his tight blue shirt and brown jacket that was covering his clearly muscular arms. He shook his hair to the side and held out his hand with a soft whisper in his voice. I cringed. This was cliche. But I mean, my life was far from cliche so I could deal with a little bit.

"Hey. I'm Leo."

"Lacey." I said and turned back to Steve giving him a look of discomfort that only he could understand.

"Well you two have fun." Mrs. Smith pushed us out the door and shut it behind us.

"Wow." he chuckled and walked towards a car parked out front.

"So... what are we doing?" I asked getting into the passenger seat.

"Well, we don't have to go but I was thinking, my friend is having a party tonight and we could go together." he cocked his head and looked at me.

"I just met you. I don't know if that's a good idea. I have a curfew." I shook my head letting all the bad ideas cloud my brain.

"Aw, come on! Just one party. You look like the type of girl who hasn't been to a single party," He started the car and he started driving.

"And what is that supposed to mean? I'm just playing it safe. I don't prefer to go out and get drunk," I replied. Just like my father.

"Just let loose! Trust me it will be fun. You could meet people," He shrugged, obviously trying to reason with me more.

"Um, no. Okay? I am not going. Just take me home right now!" I crossed my arms and looked down at my lap. This had been a stupid idea after all. Thanks a lot December.

"You're a baby. It's just one party, okay?" His voice sounded frustrated.

"One party could lead to millions of things! You might not get in trouble at parties, or maybe nothing bad has happened to you yet! Trust me, I know what can happen after alcohol," I shook my head, letting my hair shield me from his view.

"Oh come on! You probably haven't even had a drink! I bet you don't even know the first thing about drinking and having fun!" He laughed, but anger just bubbled up inside me.

"You call something like that fun?! You also don't know the first thing about me! So how dare you assume anything!" I was about to yell something else, but then the engine cut and Leo took his keys out of the ignition. I looked out the window, and we were at a house. With drunk teenagers littering the lawn, and streamers hanging from the house. Beer cans were in people's hands and inappropriate things were going on. A closed my eyes and turned to Leo. I will not repeat what I called him but he looked at me, laughed, pushed me out the door with him, and locked the car behind him walking to a group of people at the entrance who all seemed to know him. I sat there alone. I didn't know what I was going to do. 

***what will happen to Lacey??? find out on the next chapter, coming out soon***