Chapter Fifteen

xxx sorry, I haven't posted in a little while. This chapter might not be so excited, but I have great ideas in mind. thanks and enjoy xxx

I could see him take a deep breath as he registered what I just said.

"You're... you're lying. She doesn't even know about John. Dee couldn't..."

"I know it's hard," I put my hand on his shoulder, I tried to make it a kind gesture, but his whole posture went rigid and he was tense. "but she did. And I have proof." He looked torn, he didn't know if he was going to believe me, or his wife. If I were him, I wouldn't want to believe me either.

He looked at me, confused, as I opened my phone. I went to voice memos and hit the play button and let him listen to his wife's voice replay at the night of the hospital. That's right, I had recorded it. It had actually been quite lucky, and I hadn't mentioned it in case something happened to it. That night I was just looking on my phone, and I was checking out apps and happened to stumble upon a recording one. I had my phone in my hand when she had been talking to me, and I had hit the record button when things had started to go uphill with our conversation.

"This can't be right. Who did you hire to do this?" he still didn't believe me. I mean, who would? I was a girl who had been through alot and probably would do anything for someone to save me, that also meant I could be lying. I just really needed Steve to believe me, or we could both me in danger.

"Steve, I would never lie to you. She has threatened me before, and just before John came to my house last night, I saw her with him in the backyard. She seems to be more involved than I thought. There's something I still don't know. And I want to find out." I spoke to him with a sense of urgency.

"It's just Dee..." just then his phone started ringing with the ID of December, "I should answer this." he said and walked out of the room to go to his room.

I could hear indistinct chatter as he was talking to December and I sat there, thinking to myself. He had to believe me. Now that the truth was out, he was in danger too and he couldn't not be hurt by me again. I couldn't let it happen.

"Hey Lace, so December is coming home today because one of the girls on her trip got the cold and it caught on to some of the other girls. They had to cancel." This is the first time I had heard him use her real name, December. He looked like he was thinking for a minute and then finally started talking again.

"I... I believe you. She has been missing a lot lately. I thought maybe she was having an affair, because she said she was going to dinner with her girls almost all the time now, but the only charges being made on our credit card were for clothes. The more that I think about it though, she could be using that as a cover." He sighed and rubbed his temples. I shouldn't have said anything, I was just ruining one life after the other.

"It will be alright." he hugged me, but not the kind of hugs we have had before. The meaningful ones. This one felt kind of formal, with no meaning. He pulled away stiffly. I couldn't tell if he was angry, or if he actually did believe me. Something just felt off.

Just then I heard the garage door open and close, and then the back hall door creaked open.

"Hey everyone!" it was December. She walked in the room and smiled, not knowing what was coming next.

"December, we have to talk... alone."

"Oh... okay sweetie!" He took her hand and they started walking towards their bedroom. Before she turned the corner, she glared at me, and she seemed to know that something bad was coming.

I sat there alone, for what felt like a long time. I could hear yelling in the other room, mostly from December. I could hear the closet door opening and closing. Then, I heard Steve's share of talking. He seemed upset, but very sad. I heard him say something about working it out, but after that was all silence. 5 minutes went by, and Steve walked out of their room. He sat next to me, but I didn't bother saying anything. I knew that silence was best at the moment. After what seemed like half an hour, Mrs.Smith stomped out of the room and she looked at me with a rabid expression.

"Bye you little brat!" she spat at me, "you should know that your father will not stop trying to get to you. He won't stop until he gets what he wants. You." I took in a deep breath and she left with a slam of the door, and her car starting.

Steve rubbed his face with his hands, clearly thinking hard. Thinking about the events that played out in the last hour. I felt bad. I felt bad that I ruined their relationship, I felt bad that it was all my fault.

"Is she moving out?" I asked quietly and hesitantly.

"Yes she is. Well, she just did." he tried to smile, but it looked like a piece of him broke.

"Looks like maybe we should go check out the new house now?"

"Yes..." he said looking distracted, "seems like that would be best." Sighing, he got up and left.

We got in his pickup, and he seemed far away in his own world. I tried talking to him but he seemed to not be listening. We had packed up some boxes, and decided to start moving in right away. We had no time to waste, because it turns out my father was able to be released in two days.

"Hey..." I put my hand on his shoulder, "it's going to be alright."

"You could say that, but you didn't just lose a wife." He laughed, but not in the way the Steve I knew would laugh. He was always so kind but the laugh was almost bitter. Anger bubbled up in my stomach because I had lost way more than he did. But then again, I had my whole life to get used to it. His lost happened fast.

"What else did she say to you?"

"She said that I was in danger. And so are you." He cleared his throat, "she also admitted that she had been helping him after a couple minutes of me trying to get her to speak. I should have seen it all along."

"Oh. I'm so sorry Steve," was all I managed to get out. Guilt filled me.

"It's fine I'm glad you told me."

We got to the house and it looked magnificent. It was two stories, and made out of gray bricks. I ran out of the car and opened the big glass door. The shack I used to live in now seemed impossible to live in. The inside was even more breathtaking. A spiral staircase off to the side lead to the upstairs, and the living room had 2 soft brown couches, with a fancy table in the middle. I didn't know how to describe everything with detail, because I wasn't familiar with most of the stuff that was in front of me. I quickly ran upstairs and looked for where I assumed my soon to be room would take place. I turned the corner and there was a big room with a bathroom and a walk in closet. This must be Steve's room. I walked to the opposite side of the hall.

I took a deep breath as I let the room soak in. It had baby-blue walls and a bathroom, just for me. It also had a walk in closet, though not as big as Steves. A big wonderful bed with white sheets took up half of the room. There was also a skylight that topped it all off. I was overwhelmed with happiness, and I could not believe that I, Lacey Johnson, was moving into such a beautiful home. Or that something could be so beautiful in such an ugly situation.

*** will be coming out with the next chapter soon! make sure to comment suggestions and hit the star to make our story more known!!!***