Chapter 5: Decisions

Tris's POV

I am walking home from school. Everyone under 18 goes to school. Everything seems so strange now a day. Even thought I don't go to school in the same building as Tobias, I still see him for lunch, but everyone seems to be focusing on the Choosing Ceremony coming up. It's still 2 months, but 2 months is 8 weeks, and if you ask me, 8 weeks don't seem that long; if anything, it seems short.

I can't believe in 8 weeks, Tobias won't be here anymore. He told me that I have he would meet me at the training room today, so that's why I am walking alone home. Almost every day, we walk home together, but today was different. He is acting different. I don't know why, and it annoys me that he doesn't talk to me. I just don't get it, we have been so close to each other, he knows pretty much every secret I have, except the part where my mom talked to me about the talk, but other than that, he knows everything about me. I just wish I felt the same way towards him, or that I felt that he would tell me everything too, but I don't know; I just know there is something he is keeping from me.

When I come home, Caleb is already in the kitchen, making dinner. He is that kind of person that walks home as fast as he can, so he can start dinner. However, I, I don't mind using as long as I want to spend on walking home. I like the fresh air, and I like walking. I want to run too, but we aren't allowed here in Abnegation, because we are supposed to be selfless; not that I am selfless, even if I tried, I just can't be. I guess I just care about myself a bit too much.

I go to the kitchen and help him make the dinner. We have rise and chicken. Normal Abnegation food, a bit boring if you ask me, but I just have to wait until I am 18, which isn't that long too.

"How did school go?" Caleb asks me.

"School went fine, people are starting to get ready for the Choosing Ceremony, but other than that, everything is fine. What about you?" I ask him.

"The same I guess." He answers. Then we hear the door open up and the rooms fills with noises of people talking. I hear my dad and someone else, I just can't get my mind on who it is. I look at Caleb and he looks at me.

"Beatrice and Caleb, you mind coming?" my mother asks. I look at Caleb and try my hands and I follow Caleb out of the kitchen and into the living room. There I see my dad, Marcus, Tobias, and my mum. What is going on?

"Dad needs to talk something over with Marcus, so we just invited them to stay for dinner. Did you start making dinner yet?" Mom asks and I look at Caleb. We had started already and I don't know if we have enough for everyone.

"Yeah we did, and I am not sure we have enough," I say, but I realise I said the wrong thing since my mum gives the look that says, I know you don't like being here, but behave; if that's even a look.

"But we can sure make some more," Caleb says, saving me from dinner.

"Tobias, why don't you go and help them?" Marcus says and he nods. I walk into the kitchen, followed by Caleb and Tobias. I wonder if this is going to be awkward.

"What should I do?" Tobias asks when we come into the kitchen. I look at Caleb and he looks at me. We don't really know really. We made this plan when we were younger that when we made food, Caleb did his part of the dinner and I did my part. I have to cut the vegetables and get everything ready, and he cooks it.

"Why don't you help Beatrice finish cutting the vegetables?" Caleb says. I look at him, asking him silently why? I am not a fan of cooking and with Tobias, it just makes it harder to act normal with him. "Then I will finish the rest."

"Whatever." I say smiling. Caleb and I, well we don't really mind not acting very Abnegation when we are alone, you could say that we don't really care, but when we are in front of people he is like a total different, he actually acts selfless. If I didn't know him in 'real' person - I guess you can say that - I would defiantly think that he is 100 % Abnegation.