Chapter 17: Inhale, Exhale & Fire

Tri's POV

I wake up in my room in Abnegation. I look around and see my closet and my bed. When did I get here? I would have remembered if I went back to Abnegation, right? Why am I here? What am I doing here?

I open the door and walk downstairs. I see my parents in the kitchen with Caleb. They are talking. I am about to walk towards them. I really missed them, but wait - Caleb? What is he doing here? He is supposed to be in Erudite. Why is he here? Why am I here? Something is not right. This is not right. I look around the living room. There is something wrong with this picture. This. It's wrong. I am not really in Abnegation, am I? I start walking toward them as I see the back door of our house in the kitchen opens, and see four people with guns.

I don't know who they are, they have no faces. And then I hear a gun go off. NO! I look towards the kitchen again and see my mom falling towards the ground. NO! No, this is not happening! I run towards the kitchen, but I am stuck because of an invisible glass wall. This is my fear. Watching my family die right in front of me and I can't do anything to save them. It has to be.

I hear another gunshot and see my father fall to the ground. This is my fear - fear - this is not real. This is not happening right now. This is not real. This is not real. I need to do something to save them. I need something to help them. I can't get through this glass wall, but I can, I can - I don't know what I can do, but I need to hurry. They are slowly dying, and Caleb, he, he is next. He can't die. I need to do something. I need a gun. I can shoot them if I have a gun. I need a gun.

I feel something in my hand and look down at it. A gun! Perfect. I stand back and look for my target. I find the person holding the gun towards Caleb - let's hope this bullet gets through this glass wall -, inhale, exhale, I fire.

I open my eyes and see my target on the floor. YES! It worked. Next person. I find the person and I inhale, exhale, and fire. I open my eyes and find my target dead on the floor; I need to stop closing my eyes as I fire or it won't work in real life. I find my next target. Inhale, exhale, and I fire. Dead too. I find the last person, inhale, exhale, and I fire. I open my eyes and still see him there standing.

He takes his gun and points it on Caleb.

"NO! CALEB!" I shout. I look at my gun and see that there are no bullets left. I run back towards the glass wall, but I can't get through. This needs to stop. I can't do it anymore, I have understood the fear now, just please make this stop. I fall down as I see Caleb fall to the ground. I hit the glass wall many times, but I know it's not helping, it's just hurting my hands.

"NO! Please! Caleb!"

I need to calm my heartbeat to get out. I can't do that. I can't do that after I just watched my family die right in front of me. They didn't die, but it looked like they did; it feels like they just did. I know this is not real, but, okay, I close my eyes and try to breathe in and out slowly. I feel a hand on my knee and open my eyes and find Tobias looking at me. 

"Hey," He says moving his other hand from the floor to my cheek. He is squatted down, with one hand on my knee and the other, now on my cheek. I didn't realize I was crying until he was drying my cheek with his hand. I put my elbows on my knees and my hands on my cheek and I lean my head in front, looking down. I just need to breathe.

I am back and they didn't die, they are still here. Tobias stands up and puts his hand on my back.

"Come on." He says and helps me up. I stand up and he stands in front of me. I put my arms around his waist and he does the same to me. He kisses my head and I just breathe in his scent, making me feel safe.