Chapter 11: Secrets Revealed

Tris's POV

"We have three stages, here in Dauntless. In stage one, we focus on the physical, second stage is about emotional, and the third stage is mental. We have rankings after stage one. If you rank below the number ten you are out, but if you rank higher than that, you're onto the next stage. After stage three we will rank you again and you have to be higher than number ten again. This time, you will be ranked with the Dauntless-born and if you don't rank higher, again you are factionless. I suggest that you work hard in stage one, since it's harder to rank higher if you are a lower rank at the start in the second and third stage." Four yells. His voice booming out loud. "Now, let's get started, get the -"

"We get ranked?" Someone in the crowd speaks barely above a whisper. I look around, trying to find out where the voice came from. I think it was Myra.

"Yeah, you do." Four answers.

"Why didn't we know this?" Peter questions. Four is about to answer when someone comes in. I turn to look at the door and there stands a guy with a lot of piercings and more ink than skin.

"Eric." Four says and Eric smiles.

"Hello, I thought I would come and see how training is going." He replies. "Now, what was the question I heard?"

"Why didn't we know that if we don't rank high enough we get kicked out?" Peter asks again.

"You chose us, now it's our turn to chose you. Would you have chosen differently if you knew?" Eric asks. No one says anything, we just look at each other. "That's what I thought."

"Eric, is there anything you want or can I get back to training?" Four replies. I don't think they like each other very much; at least not by the tone in which Four is talking to Eric in. 

"Just keep training your transfers, I will just stand and watch. You won't even notice me." Eric says with a smirk. I don't think I like Eric very much either on a second thought. 

"Okay, like I said before all the commotion, go and get the knives." Four says and points at the table with many knives. "Take three and no more."

Everyone goes and gets the three knives and then we walk back to the targets. I turn to look at the target. It's perfect. I have never thrown a knife with this kind of target. In our training room or should I say my training room, I only hard pain and circles.

"Watch me and then do it yourself." Four says and walks over to one target. I feel like I don't need to watch him. I have done this for almost five years and two of the last years, he wasn't even there to show me.

He gets in position and it's exactly the same one he showed me when we were training together. He inhales and then exhales and then throws the knife. It lands dead centre. Nice. I think to myself. I knew he was going to be able to hit dead centre, but it's another thing to actually see it happen again.

"Your turn." He says and I smile. I walk over to a target, next to Christina and Will. I position myself - the same position I have been practising for five years or you could say the same position as Four - and do exactly the same thing I have done for years and let the knife fly. It hits dead centre. I'm not surprised when it lands dead centre since I have been able to hit dead centre for quite some time now, but it's still fun every time. I turn around and see that no one is throwing knives and that all the pairs of eyes within the room are on me. 

"When did you learn that?" Christina asks. I look at her and smile.

"I told you I knew how to throw a knife." I say smiling.

"I didn't really think you were serious." She says grinning.

"Whatever." She says rolling her eyes at me.