In the Wake of Battle

LIZA POV:

The remaining witches rushed out of the treehouse. Emma ran beside me. "Liza! What the hell just happened?!" I ignored her and ran faster until I reached my sister. I slid down by her side and took her head in my hands. Her eyes were barely open. They were still that terrifying dark purple.

"Callie!" I whispered softly as I shook her. She grasped my wrist taking in a raggedy breath. "Liza, thank the gods!  We can't stay much longer. We wanted to thank you for taking care of Callie all these years. You are the best daughter anyone could wish for. Your parents would be so proud."

My coven mothers words shook me. I couldn't stop the flow of tears from running down my face. Callie slowly reached up caressing my cheek. "Now listen to us. Give Callie a healing potion and she will wake in a few hours. Tell her we love her. Don't forget if you ever really need us just call and we'll be there. We love you. We'll see you whether it be in this plane or the next. They paused for a second. "Oh and hold on to Max. This is your chance to finally live a full life with her don't take it for granted."

I nodded and whispered my goodbyes and then Callie inhaled and her eyes faded back to blue. I laid her down. "Get me two healing potions! Now!" I yelled back to the witches. Jenna sprinted over potions in hand. "Give Callie one I'll give Lux the other."

I made my way over to Lux, who was much worse for wear. She was still in wolf form her dark coat matted and muddy. I saw the blood forming around her leg. I laid a hand on her side and she flinched but opened her eyes. She let out a soft growl.
I bowed my head. "Lux, can you change back?" She slowly nodded her head. I quickly grabbed a blanket and laid it on top of her.

Watching her change was excruciating. She whined and screamed in pain. Once she was back in human form I gave her the potion. It didn't do much. It stopped the bleeding and cuts she had, but she had a gash running along the back of her thigh that wouldn't close and her left arm was completely shattered.

"Lux, why did you try and take that witch alone?" I whispered hurriedly. She wrapped the blanket around herself more and slowly sat up. "Tradition. I failed in the eyes of my Beta and in the eyes of my pack. I should have died a cowards death. That is the law."

I looked her straight in the face and slapped her hard. She let out a small but terrifying growl. "You don't get to die a cowards death anymore! If you don't stop living by the old traditions and laws your father will slaughter you and make sure your pack goes to someone even more vicious than him! It is time for you and Callie to make your own traditions and laws. It is time for you to step up and rebel! Don't play by his rules because if you do Callie will die. Either in battle by your fathers' hand or in heartbreak from losing you."

 Lux smiled showing me her blood stained teeth. "Spoken like a true leader. Come on help me up." I did as she asked making sure to avoid her injuries. I went to walk, but she stopped me. She leaned in real close and whispered "Slap me like that again and I will tear your hand off with my teeth." I nodded with a small smirk on my face and helped Lux to the packhouse. 

We were the last ones to arrive.  Everyone was rushing around the infirmary like mad men. All of the wolves needed some sort of care. Max only had a few shallow cuts and was running around tending to her pack as she was bleeding all over the floor.  I called LG over to take her daughter and raced after my mate. "Max! Slow down!" She kept sprinting everywhere leaving me in the dust. Finally, I had enough and I cast a spell to slow down time only for a few seconds. I quickly ran in front of max and reversed the spell. She came crashing into me, but I was ready catching her in my arms and saved us both from falling to the floor. "Max! Slow down! Everyone is okay! Nothing life threatening. Everyone is gonna be fine." 

She took a deep breath, her hands were shaking. I helped her over to a bed and looked over her injuries. She had small cuts all along her arms, one gash across her forehead, and a cut across her thigh. I grabbed a rag and wet it lathering with some soap. I carefully cleaned her forehead and thigh. After they were clean I gave her a healing potion and all of her injuries closed up quickly. Her hands were still shaking I softly intertwined our fingers and tilted her head up with my free hand. Her eyes were cloudy and unfocused. I leaned in kissing her gently she stilled for a second but kissed me back eventually. I caressed her cheek and broke our kiss leaning our foreheads together. "Everyone is safe. It's all over." I heard her sigh of relief and before I could open my eyes Max pulled me into a bone crushing hug. I rubbed her back reassuringly. " I don't think I could deal if I lost Lux." she whispered. "You don't have to she's here." She nodded her head. I could feel her fatigue. I laid her down and covered her, I went to leave but she pulled me back down. "Please stay, I need you." she begged and I knew I couldn't refuse so I laid next her wrapping her in my arms. I softly ran my fingers up and down her arm and hummed that old lullaby that she loved. She was out in minutes and I followed soon after. 

LUX POV:

It felt like I had only just fallen asleep when Callie started screaming in her sleep. "No! Lux! You can't do this to me! Please!" She yelled as she thrashed in her sleep. I shook her and her eyes popped open in surprise. She visibly relaxed and pulled me into a warm hug, "Are you okay?" I whispered softly. She nodded and pulled me closer. "Just a bad dream, come on let's go back to sleep." I wanted to ask about her nightmare, but she seemed so tired so I let it go and kissed her shoulder laying myself across her body, basically smothering her but she didn't seem to mind and we both fell asleep within minutes.

------

When I woke up I was alone. The infirmary was empty, but I could hear the buzz of conversation coming from the kitchen. I slowly made my way there and saw everyone sitting around the table smiles were on all of their faces. Callie spotted me and ran up to help me. "How are you feeling love?" she whispered softly. I smiled "My arm is still a little sore, but my leg feels great. What about you?" A big smile played on her lips, " I feel amazing like a huge weight has been lifted off of my chest."  I couldn't help but smile bigger too. We sat at the table all of us enjoying the morning. After a while we were sitting around the table hanging out when Emma cleared her throat. "I hate to say it,  we've done what we came to do and we need to get back." 

"Of course we wouldn't want to keep you. Let me just thank you we could not have done it without all of you." Emma smiled and nodded I saw the tears in her eyes. We all made our way outside. All of us said our goodbyes there wasn't a dry eye in the bunch.  Jenna was nearly sobbing, Sky had to be consoled by an almost equally distraught Jess, and Emma had silent tears running down her cheeks. Callie kissed me goodbye and they were gone in a blink of an eye.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CALLIE POV: 

We arrived at the coven home, thankfully not to the tip of a blade, but a room of smiling girls. I stayed and talked for a while, but I knew I couldn't stay long. Honestly, I wish they didn't have to go I knew they would be sorely missed. I hugged everyone goodbye once more and promised I would visit with everyone in tow soon. Before I could leave Jenna crashed into me crushing me into a huge hug. I could feel her tears hit my shirt. I shhh her and stroked her hair promising to visit soon. Finally, she let me go and I was back in the yard in seconds. I jogged over to Lux and pulled her into a hug. "I'm gonna miss them." I whispered lowly into her ear. She rubbed my back and hummed in agreement. Once we broke apart we all went back to the house, Lux started a fire and stuck in a movie. We all sat together and spent the rest of the day hanging out and watching plenty of movies in the light of the warm fire. By the fourth movie, Emma had gone into the kitchen to prepare dinner, Liza and Max were in their own little world playing with each other's fingers and whispering to one another, and Lux and I were in our usual position with my hand on her stomach and my head on her chest. I could tell Lux had fallen asleep her breathing was steady and slow. It was so soothing to feel her this relaxed I loved when this happened it always calmed me and this time, the rise and fall of her chest lulled me to a deep and peaceful sleep.