Chapter 2

First edit: 14/07/2017

* * *

I am feeling myself today.

Will labeled my look today as a BOSS; and let me tell you, that word has me feeling all kinds of fierceness. Apart from the stilettos and bodycon dress I have on, I also managed to get my eyeliner perfect.

Perfect in the sense of - if someone stood four feet away and I angled my face the correct way, they wouldn't notice the two crooked lines above my lids.

Anyway, maybe my new found confidence has something to do with the hope of seeing Justin today. He did tweet about me afterall... but I shouldn't get my hopes up. Nonetheless, I feel great.

I'm on my way to work, walking the last two blocks from the station when my phone rings. It's a number I recognise all too well. I inhale and put on my best smile, even though he won't see it.

"Mr. Leigh!" I answer, "What a lovely surprise!"

Mr. Leigh is the one who rescued me out of South Africa. He also helped me start a new life in the USA. Name changes, background checks, history wipes - the list goes on. I was practically a new person in all senses of the word. Was it not for him, I wouldn't even have landed the position of junior editor at HarperCollins.

You could say I owe him my life.

He cuts straight to the point. As usual. "I hear you are making quite the stir at your new job! I'm impressed!" His deep voice rumbles through the speaker of my phone.

I can't help but let out a nervous laugh. It needs explanation:

One - Mr. Leigh is one of the most influential businessmen in America; he's a billionaire and king of his own empire. Anyone would be nervous just being in his presence. Two - He knows what's going on in my life at all times. So he probably already knows I didn't do anything to deserve the praise.

"News travels fast," I say as I wait by the traffic light until I can cross the street.

Was this a test? Should I make it clear that I didn't do anything praise-worthy to make a stir at my new job?

His response grabs my attention and makes me exhale with relief.

"Are you at work yet?"

Maybe he's just making chit-chat.

"Almost, why?" I frown..

"Oh I think I'll leave you to find out yourself!" he laughs.

Of course. Frank Leigh will never call just for chit-chatting. He knows something.

His words echo in my mind; and I, being the paranoid person that I am, immediately jump to the first conclusion. So I do what any rational person would do - I apologize profusely.

"I'm so sorry Mr. Leigh! I know I probably should have interacted with him more than I did!" What am I even saying? The other side is silent, so I take it as a hint to apologize more, "I mean, it was my first day! I had no idea I would bump into a celebrity, let alone get my picture taken and published online!"

Where am I going with this?

"If I knew beforehand, I would have ensured to give more publicity to the company and not make it look like we were flirting! I'm really sor-"

He cuts me off, "What on earth are you rambling on about?" He chuckles, "I just thought I would call to check up on you. You gave more than enough media attention to HarperCollins. And free at that! They were planning on paying someone for being seen with that singer!"