Chapter 40

A week came and went.

Justin has me wrapped up in a safe cocoon every day in his home. Our home. As he calls it.

Honestly, I'm not complaining. I've developed an irrational fear of the unknown, which includes finding out what I used to know. I have an idea of what happened now, but I haven't mustered up the courage yet to speak to anyone besides Justin.

Will has been calling. Blake has been calling. Frank Leigh has been calling. Hundreds of unknown numbers have been calling.

In fact, one of them are calling me right now. I sigh and decline the call.

"Another private number?" Justin mumbles with a mouth full of food.

"Yeah," I nod and pick up my empty plate towards the dishwasher.

"Maybe we should consider getting you a new number, yours must have been leaked if you're receiving so many calls," he mouths and takes another bite of the avocado toast.

"It's not like I use the thing anyway," I comment as I set down my phone on the counter. I walk to the cabinet and take out a two glasses, "You want some OJ?"

"Yes, please."

I should consider getting rid of my phone. From what I understand, it only brought me trouble in the past; and I don't want to speak to anyone else.

When I'm done throwing the now-empty carton in the dustbin, I pick up Justin's glass of juice and hand it to him.

There must have been some spillage to the side, because my fingers can't grip the glass quick enough and it slips right through my fingers.

Countless pieces of glass shatter on the kitchen floor.

I see my bare feet standing in a puddle of yellow liquid and chunks of broken glass and I can't help but feel stuck in the moment.

Where have I seen this before?

"Calista?" I hear Justin's voice and look up to see him look at me with furrowed brows.

I try to say something, but air is all that escapes my mouth. I return the frown and look down again. Glass, so much shattered pieces of glass.

I should get the broom and clean this up.

And then, it hits me in the face like I've collided with a car straight-on.

"Leah?" I hear Justin's worried voice behind me.

I try to wipe the tears, but he already saw them.

"What the hell is going on?" he furrows his brows, opening his arms to hold me.

I stutter, "Just a st- stupid gl- glass!"

"You know I didn't refer to the glass," he mutters.

All the emotions I've been hurdling, bursts into a thousand tears at once. I break down, crying into Justin's warm embrace.

"Leah, talk to me," he begs, bringing my chin up to look at him.

I shake my head, "You won't love me anymore," thinking of all the secrets and lies I've told to keep safe.

"You own my heart, nothing you say can change that," he reassures me, "unless you've cheated on me, then I'd have to kick you out."

I chuckle through the tears, "I would never cheat," I say.

"I know, so why don't you start telling me what you've been keeping from me?"