Chapter 23

I don't know what is worse - not knowing where you are or not being able to identify the voices around you.

If I was in heaven, it sure wasn't what I expected. For the most part I don't see anything but black and on occasion I'm able to see a few flickering lights here and there.

I wonder when someone will lift the veil off my eyes so that I can be escorted to the pearly gates.

"Her body heat is lower than ninety degrees," someone says in a worried tone.

"Hypothermia," another low voice states.

Hmm, this is odd. I would have expected a warm greeting of some sorts in the afterlife.  Unless I'm in hell. Oh god! I'm in hell! It sure is quiet for hell though, I don't feel any fire burning me.

"She's moving," the one notices.

A familiar voice shouts from the distance, making me flinch, "Is she going to be okay?" The voice was filled with worry.

Justin? Why was he dead too?

---

[Justin POV]

I tap to the constant beep-beep of the heart monitor attached to Leah as she lays as still as a lifeless object in the hospital bed.

How did she manage to get herself so severely injured? She didn't look good at all. If only I had started looking for her earlier she might have still been awake!

The door of the room flings open and I see Will, her roommate stumbling in with a tray of two Starbucks cups in one hand and a paper bag in the other.

I stand up, "Let me help you."

"Sit your ass down, you don't get to move from her side," he snaps.

I suppose he is right. If I weren't such an idiot to anger Leah unnecessary, she wouldn't have gone off almost getting herself killed.

An uneven heart beat grabs my attention and I turn around seeing Leah swift her head left and right before she is still again.

"I wonder what she's thinking," I say, stricken with guilt.

This girl has absolutely stolen my heart, I can't even begin to describe how much love I feel for her. She makes me feel proud to be seen with her, I feel normal and treated fairly when I'm with her.

I'm in love and I can't allow the one person who was able to snag me out of my depressed state over Selena, who was able to make me love again, who gave me purpose, to die because of me. If only she knew how much I fell for her in such a short time, I love her.

I gulp, trying to keep myself from tearing up in front of Will. I never knew such deep attachment to some girl until I met Leah.

"I bet she is slapping you in her dream, because I would were it not for you finding her," Will growls at me.

"I should have realised sooner, I should have come looking for her earlier," I mumble.

"You don't get to feel sorry for yourself, suck it up bitch! You better be by her side and not leave her now," Will scolds.

I look at him, knowing he is right, this was my fault, "I'm sorry," I say, sitting back down next to her bed. I was so rude just because of a stupid talkshow.

I was the one that told her I would be patient, I told her that I won't push her. She even said Jelly Tots and I was stupid enough to get mad, knowing very well she has some kind of hurtful past.