Chapter 9

First Edit: 05/08/2017

* * *

It's hard to disagree with your boss on your first day of work.

I already had a debate with him about what my job entails, so I don't bother to open my mouth about the rest of my contract. Especially not after the random flirting her threw in at the end of our conversation.

My contract provides a great salary, more than what I ever expected. I have fashion, car and hosting allowances, which leaves my salary basically untouched. I can save for something. I can save for my parents. I can save for everyone who needs help back home.

Denzel leads me from office to office, with a tight hand on my back, that I'm very aware of. He doesn't let me go when he introduces me to every senior editor on the floor. I don't know what is worse, facing the dissatisfied stares from senior editors who have worked here a long time, or having to deal with the frowns that creep over their faces when they see Denzel touch my waist inappropriately.

At last Denzel leads me to my office.

A young olive skinned woman sits in front of the desk outside my often. She throws her black hair behind her shoulder and jolts up when she sees me.

"Miss Smith! I'm so happy to meet you!" she shrieks and palms me, "I'm Kelly Fernandez. I spoke to you over the phone this morning. I'm your new PA!"

If there were ever a picture to the phrase pearly whites, Kelly's teeth would be photographed and pasted next to it. Her teeth beams at me in a grin.

"It's a pleasure to meet you," I shake back and give a content smile.

She is a tad shorter than me wearing her yellow pumps, floral dress and yellow jersey.

What an odd combination.

I like the fact that we look around the same age though. It means we'll have something to talk about.I think we will get along just fine.

Denzel shoves his hands in his pockets and finally leaves my back untouched. Finally. I see Katy raise a brow, but it's gone in seconds when he speaks.

"Kelly is very excited to work for you, are you not?"

The glare he gives her makes me angry. It looks almost threatening and I have to bite my tongue before I say something that could have stayed.

"Yes!" she exclaims, "Of course! I was so excited to hear you're the girl in all those photos with Justin Bieber!"

Denzel chuckles, "We are all excited that it's her!" he gives me a weird squint and continues, "Especially since you're such an upgrade after the old chap before you. Kelly never really liked him that much either, right Kelly?"

What is this man trying to do? Throw Kelly under the bus? Why is he talking so poorly about a former employee? Isn't that like, against the rules or something?

Kelly purses her lips and forces a smile, "Hmm-mm," she looks up like a lost puppy, "I wouldn't say I disliked him, but-"

"Now now Kelly, let's not overanalyze the situation on your boss' first day. Shall we?" he motions to my office door and lifts a brow in anticipation.

I don't like the tension between these two.

I don't like the way Denzel is acting.

Before we can walk into the office, Denzel halts and turns, "You know what, why don't you two get to know each other first? Kelly can show you the ropes of everything you need to know. I'll check in later."