Chapter 5

"I could kiss away your pain, but only if you'd let me."

Aahana felt a rush of disbelief when the chemist identified the medication

Aahana felt a rush of disbelief when the chemist identified the medication. Had she heard him correctly? She had always associated success, good looks, and wealth with happiness. Atharva, with his undeniable charm and affluence, seemed to lead an enviable life, though marred by his temper and cold demeanor. The idea that someone like him would need antidepressants took her by surprise.

She knew such medication wasn't prescribed lightly. Having met Atharva's parents, who radiated warmth and instantly connected with her, it was hard for Aahana to reconcile this discovery with the picture-perfect image of his family. But she was reminded that beneath polished surfaces, there often lay hidden truths. Perhaps society's masks were more deceiving than she'd realized.

Driving back home, she couldn't help but keep thinking about him. She had so many questions in her mind to which she had no answers. It made her curious and puzzled altogether. She wanted to ask him, know him but she knew it wasn't the best idea. He wouldn't tell her a thing.

She recalled their interactions. The way he behaved around her was strange, but she had thought he was arrogant and rude. Busy. Now she knew not to judge a book by its cover. 

Her phone buzzed, snapping her out of her chaotic thoughts. She pulled the car off the road and rummaged through her bag for her phone which continued to ring loudly, demanding to be answered.

Her eyes widened seeing the screen, and she immediately sat up straighter in her seat.

"Hello, Uncle. Good morning," she greeted, her voice polite and soft.

She heard him chuckle on the other end of the phone. "Good morning, dear. And please, call me Dad."

"Okay." Aahana relaxed. "How are you, Dad?"

"I am fine, dear. But I am quite disappointed."

She frowned. "Did I do something wrong?"

"I know how much you enjoy working, so I was certain you'd love to join Saxena Enterprises and work with Atharva. But you didn't come to the office on Friday." 

Aahana's frown deepened. "Dad, I didn't know about it, or else I would have."

There was a pause, then she heard him say, "I should have known my son."

"Sorry?"

"I think Atharva forgot to inform you. He is a busy man."

Aahana knew that was not the reason. She felt her heart sink when she realized Atharva didn't want her in his office. He did it purposely. "No Dad, it's okay. I don't think he would accept my presence there," she confessed hesitantly.

Harshvardhan sighed. "Atharva is like that with everyone, so don't worry about him. Join the office from tomorrow and give him some time, alright? I am sure he will come around."