Chapter 37

"I knew I was yours before you even came into my life."

When Atharva reached the hospital, he looked like the perfect definition of madness

When Atharva reached the hospital, he looked like the perfect definition of madness. His hair was swept by the wind and he still wore the same clothes-now wrinkled and dirty. He rushed directly to the reception and asked, more like demanded, for Aahana Saxena.

He sounded desperate to his own ears. He had no idea if Aahana had come here to visit someone or for some other reason but he felt like he would die with everything within him if anything happened to her.

The receptionist-startled for a moment- typed on the keyboard and nodded at him vigorously.

He didn't second glance her way as he searched for Room No. 404, Aahana's room. People gawked at him on his way but he couldn't care less.

He stood in front of the door and it was the only barrier between them but he couldn't bring himself to take a step forward. He didn't know what to expect on the other side. His heart thudded and he could feel his palm sweat as he twisted the doorknob right when it opened, freezing him on his spot.

Wide-eyed, he looked at the nurse who just came out of the room and when her eyes landed on him, she frowned-her gaze questioning.

He opened his mouth to speak but his throat clogged and he felt choked. Thankfully, the nurse saved him.

"Sir, you can't go in. Ma'am is sleeping, and visiting hours are over."

He wanted to tell her no visiting hours and other shit policies of the hospital could stop him. And when he did, he saw her mouth hang open in horror.

"Uh, but-"

"Fuck off." Well, it wasn't the best thing to say to the nurse who was apparently tending to his wife, but could he help himself? He hated feeling the way he felt for Aahana, but there wasn't a choice. Love and worry caused him to forget his manners. He felt guilty for sounding so harsh and threatening when she meant no harm.

He took a deep breath. "I'm sorry. I'm her husband. Can you tell me why is she admitted here?" he asked, more politely this time.

The nurse, who was unfamiliar with his mood swings, staggered back and gulped, nodding shakily. "She met with an accident. It was a police case. We tried to inform her family but she didn't let us."

"Who brought her here?"

"We don't know, sir. The woman was with her son when she saw the accident occur, so she helped Aahana ma'am."

"Oh, did she tell how it happened?"

"According to her statement to the police, she saw your wife driving when suddenly a truck collided with her car, sending her straight to a tree."

The more he heard, the more tensed he grew. His breath was turning uneven and he was covered in perspiration. "Is she okay now?"

"She has a broken leg and sprained her right hand which will take around 21 days to a month to heal completely while the minor scars will heal in a few days. She is under observation for 5 days after which she can leave."