Chapter 41

"No one else matters but you."

Aahana was fast asleep like a baby when she was forcefully awoken by the ringing of her phone

Aahana was fast asleep like a baby when she was forcefully awoken by the ringing of her phone. She knew whoever was at the other end was going to die because she hated when people messed with her sleep. It was the only thing that put her in peace and she could always weave her own dreams. It relaxed her, washing away all the tension from her body. Also, which girl liked to miss her much-needed beauty sleep?

She hit the button so hard and was about to scream but the voice she heard silenced her. It was her mother. She swallowed and rubbed her eyes with the pad of her fingers as she heard her mother sob and yell. Aahana couldn't comprehend her words, but she could very well sense what her mother was talking about.

"Who told you?" she asked calmly, stifling a yawn.

"Jay!" Her mother cried. "How could you not tell us?"

"Mummy, please... " Aahana gritted her teeth, already feeling the anger bubble within her, wanting to murder Jay. He couldn't keep a simple promise, that ass. She should have known though, he was always like this when it came to hiding things from family. "I didn't want to worry you all, besides, I swear I'm okay now." Aahana was tired of repeating these same words again and again.

"Fracture is not okay Aahana. What if something had happened to you?" She groaned when she heard her mother burst into another round of fresh tears.

Oh, my emotional mom!

"It is nothing. I'm here now, aren't I?"

"We are coming to see you."

"Mummy, no—" The beep went off, and she hurriedly tossed the phone on the bed before marching into Atharva's study. Why did she bother to explain when they didn't want to hear her? In a way, they had a right to know, and hiding from them wasn't the best idea. So go ahead and sue her for trying to be a good daughter. She didn't bother to knock and went inside, standing in front of him to get his attention.

He ignored her for a moment, but when she didn't budge, he knew something was definitely wrong. He looked up from the file he was buried in, and her expression confirmed his assumption.

"What's wrong?"

She took a deep breath and slid into his lap, making herself comfortable before she spoke. "Jay happened."

He froze, taken aback by her casualness.  His heart thumped erratically, and he pushed her shoulders slightly, motioning for her to get down. She frowned and shut his file, telling him to take deep breaths and relax because they were, after all, husband and wife. A little bit of affection was innocuous.