Chapter 27

"I recognized your worth only when you left me."

The day Atharva left for Bangalore, he was more than relieved and why wouldn't he be? There was nobody to nag him and all he had was peace and work; his two very favorite thing in his life

However, that relief moment didn't last long because as soon as he stepped into his penthouse suite, he received a call and of course it was no one but his dear wife Aahana. He wanted to reject the call, seriously, but he knew he couldn't. In a way, he didn't want to worry her. But he realized how big of a mistake he did by receiving the call when she started talking non-stop.

And that went on for days. Like promised, Aahana would call him three times or more in a day, regularly. There was this one time, Atharva didn't know what was wrong with him and he snapped at her, remarking how clingy and voluble she was.

Evidently, it hurt Aahana more than he thought it would. She uttered no word and hung up. It had been two days and she had made no efforts to interact with him again.

He was guilt-ridden and regretted every harsh word that came from his mouth. But the guilt in him was swept over by emptiness when she no more bothered him.

Initially, he wasn't sure what it was. The ache wasn't familiar to him. It was something he had never experienced before, not even in the worst days of his life. The ache was raw and faint, yet he couldn't ignore it and so he realized it was loneliness. He was alone all his life but had never felt this miserable.

It was she who changed him to feel this way. And now he couldn't stop thinking about her. The idea seemed incredulous to him, for he never imagined a day would come when he'd miss her but here he was going restless in her absence.

He wanted to hear her speak. He loved the sound of her voice in his ears. It calmed him and he felt rejuvenated.

But could he call her? Never. Sure he missed her but he didn't have it in him to call her.

Just a day more. He repeated to himself and fixed his gaze on the white ceiling but not even a minute had passed before he was sitting upright, his phone in his hand.

He didn't have her whereabouts and he was conflicted about whether to call her or not.

Is she okay?

And finally, he did.

The ring went on and he felt anxious as he waited for her to answer him and when she said that monosyllable in her breathy voice, he felt his heart speed up a few notches.