Chapter 8

Don and Henry cooked up a plan for Christmas. Don knew his wife would NEVER leave him alone to go and have Christmas with the kids, and he wanted to have Christmas with his family, so he and Henry decided to bring Christmas to the hospital. As much as Don wished it wasn't the case, he decided to make the best out of the situation. He knew his wife had been through complete hell, as had their children, not knowing if he would die or not; and so he wanted to make Christmas as special as possible for them even though they would be in the hospital.As he and Henry were working out plans, Don couldn't hep but think about their first Christmas as a family of 6.

***

It was a few days before Christmas in 1991 and Meryl had just climbed into the bed she and Don shared at their Connecticut home, sighing happily, it sure was good to be home. As soon as the kids were dismissed on winter break out in Brentwood, California the whole family headed back east; they headed home. Their Salisbury, Connecticut house would always be home for them; no matter where both Don and Meryl's careers took them. As she laid there in the big, cozy bed, she thought about how she couldn't wait to spend Christmas as a family of 6, and celebrate their baby Louisa's very fist Christmas. She knew at 6 months old she was still too young to completely understand what was going on, but there was nothing more magical than a baby's First Christmas, and this would be her last baby's First Christmas. Meryl smiled at her husband as he walked into the bedroom in his pajama bottoms and t-shirt. "She asleep?"

"Yeah, I gave her the pacifier and rubbed her back, and she immediately went back to sleep." Don said taking off his shirt as he got into bed beside his wife.

Meryl smiled at him as she laid her head on his chest. "Thanks for taking care of her."

"She needs to learn that her Daddy can take care of her too." Don laughed as he kissed her head. "Just not in the same way Mommy can, however."

Meryl laughed as she kissed his cheek. "It sure is good to be home, isn't it?"

"Yes, it is. Much better than last Christmas." Don growled, referring to the awful Christmas they spent the year before in Indianapolis when his father called Meryl a whore. There was no way he was going to put his wife and their children back in that situation again.

Meryl held him tighter, knowing how much it upset him. "Yes, it is. It's hard to believe this time last year I was three months pregnant and now we have a 6 month old baby girl."

"She's amazing. Perfect. Just like her mama." Don said happily.

Meryl looked up as she gazed into his eyes. "She looks just like you."

"You don't have to convince me, I know she's mine." Don teased referring to his father.

Meryl nodded as she kissed his lips. "I know, I just can't get over your dad not believing she's yours. How he still believes it. I mean look at her! She is you through and through. Not to mention the fact he thinks I would treat you the way he treats your mother."

"Baby, he's an ass. He doesn't matter." Don reminded her. He meant it. He was just tired of his father hurting their family over and over and over.

Meryl nodded as she laid back down. "Have you talked to them?"

"Yeah, Mom; not Dad of course." Don said stroking her hair.

Meryl was waiting for more. "And?"

"And, same old song. Your father loves you, we want you and the family here for Christmas, your father is an alcoholic. I'm tired of that song being replayed." Don sighed.