Chapter 37

A few days later after the botched attempt at a knee replacement, Don was healing from his latest health scare and was ready to try knee surgery, again. Meryl didn't want to tell him, but she was terrified because of everything that happened. She was glad he was on so many medicines, and slept in a separate hospital bed though it was pushed up next to the one she slept him, so he didn't feel her tossing and turning all night; with the fear of something happening to him in the operating room plaguing her dreams. She didn't know how she was going to let him go into that operating room and into the unknown. She could feel the fear and tears welling up inside of her while the nurses checked his vitals one last time. She walked away from him and looked out the window in his room; desperate for him to not see her fear and she was afraid if she continued to look at him she would lose it.

"Darl?" Don called out when the nurse left; he could see his wife's shoulders shaking violently. He had also felt her withdraw throughout the night and morning. When she turned around Don could tell she was trying to keep her gut wrenching sobs in. "Christ baby, what's wrong? Come here, please, baby."

Meryl ran over to him and held onto him for dear life; crying. "I can't...can't...do it."

"Calm down, baby. Please calm down; your blood pressure is going to spike. What can't you do, sweetheart?" Don whispered soothingly into her ear as he kissed her head and stroked her hair; hoping it would calm her down like it usually did.

Meryl shook her head against him as they held each other tightly. "I can't let you have that operation."

"Baby; we've talked to the doctors and nurses over and over. They're giving me an anesthesia they know will be fine, one I have been given before. My heart is strong and healthy; it will be fine." Don tried to soothe. "They've done all kinds of tests to make sure."

Meryl began to cry harder. "I can't do it, Don; I can't let you go. If I let you go into that operating room AGAIN God only knows what will happen and we'll lose you. You won't be there to walk your daughters down the aisle. You won't be able to have beers with Henry. I won't ever feel you hold me again."

"I won't do it." Don said. There was no way in hell he could leave her like this. Seeing her unraveling so badly was more than he could take.

Meryl's head popped up. "Wh-what?"

"There's no way in hell I'm going to leave you like this for over 2 hours. I won't do it, I'll deal." Don said strongly.

Meryl couldn't believe it; but this was Don, always putting her before everything else, now it was is health. "Don, do you WANT to do this?"

"Yes, I want my life back, I want our life back. I want to be able to walk our daughters down the aisle, to dance with you at our children's weddings, and to play golf with Henry. I want all of this shit behind us more than you know. I want to be your husband and lover again. I want to be the one by your side without a fucking cane as an accessory. But I won't do it if it hurts you; I'm not going to let you have another fucking blood pressure attack." Don said.

The tears continued to come down her cheeks. "If that's what you want, then I support you. I want all of that for YOU! Not for me, I want you any and every way I can have you. I just want you alive."

"I want that too baby; but I also want to be healthy and enjoy every minute with you and the kids. That is why I need to do this. But like I said, I won't do it if it's too upsetting." Don said wiping her tears.

Meryl leaned her forehead against his. "I need you to promise me something."

"What's that, beautiful?" Don smiled as he tenderly kissed her lips.