Chapter 44

Meryl and Don were finishing their dinner when Don's cell phone rang and winced in pain when he went to grab it. Meryl gently pushed him back. "It's okay, Don Man; I can get it for you." Meryl said picking up the phone. "It's a Manhattan number."

"Go ahead and answer." Don said not knowing who it could be. Everyone he would want to talk to was programmed into his phone; and all business calls went to his phone at the studio.

Meryl put down her plate and answered. "Hello? Hello? Don Gummer's phone; hello?" She looked at him when no one seemed to answer on the other end but she could hear them breathing.

"Hang up, Darl." Don shrugged his shoulders.

Meryl held his phone in her hands, after she hung up, and inched her face closer to his. "Was that your mistress?"

"You caught me!" Don teased.  "I told her you were back; but she didn't listen."

Meryl laughed as the phone rang again. "Same number!"

"Give it to me." Don said holding out his hand; and then she gave it to him, and Don answered not knowing it was on speaker. He was annoyed that whoever it was kept interrupting especially when they wouldn't respond when his wife answered. "HELLO?!"

The voice on the other end hesitated. "Don! I have been so worried about you. I've missed you so much over these past few years. I called Charlie's gallery and got your number. My life hasn't been the same without you. I know you're going through a tough time, but I wanted you to know that I will always be a shoulder for you to cry on; I mean, my God, you're the one who showed me how a man should love a woman."

"Wait...WHO IS THIS?" Don exclaimed looking at Meryl who was seeing red. He had no idea who could be missing him the "past few years." He hadn't gone out with another woman in over 33 years which was a hell of a lot longer than just a few years.

The woman choked a little and whispered. "Sigourney...Weaver."

"Oh, HELL NO!" Meryl exclaimed, taking the phone out of his hand.

Don couldn't help but laugh. He wasn't happy this was happening, at all, but he couldn't deny that he got turned on when his wife was jealous and possessive. "She's about to get her Streep on."

"Meryl?" Sigourney was shocked when she heard her former classmate's voice. "I thought you left."

Meryl got up and started pacing as she looked down at the phone. "Of course I'm here; I'm not going anywhere and neither is MY husband."

"I thought you left Donny as he was dyi-"Sigourney began to say.

Meryl was so mad she was seeing double. "I can ASSURE you, MY HUSBAND, is NOT dying. You should know better than to believe everything you read."

"But you weren't at Grace's opening." Sigourney stuttered.

Meryl was getting even more upset. "WHAT? You stalk my family now? No, I wasn't, I was in London working after Don encouraged me to do so. Let's get one thing straight, Sigourney, Don is MINE. YOU are the one that let him go all those years ago, and thank you God you did."

As Meryl paced by Don, he grabbed her by the arm, and pulled her into his lap; whispering into his ear. "I'm glad I knew there was someone so much better destined to be mine."

"NO ONE is getting between us. I am not now, nor will I EVER, leave MY HUSBAND." Meryl was beyond furious.

Don saw how upset his wife was getting, and thought about saying something but realized she wasn't worth it and his wife had pretty much put her in her place. Don grabbed the phone out of Meryl's hands, ended the call, and turned it off before throwing it down on the coffee table. He wrapped his arms tighter around her. "She's not worth it baby. She's definitely not worth your blood pressure rising."